PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjacquin

Lurker
Nov 15, 2010
Okay, I am brand new to this world and I am looking for any advice possible. I am looking for a new pipe to buy. NOt wanting to spend more than 75 dollars but i will if I have too. I am just looking for a good website to buy one. ALso any tips that will help me on my way with breaking in my pipe that I get. Thanks for all the advice you all give me!

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
pipesandcigars.com

smokingpipes.com
These are two of my favorite retailers online! They are a very helpful bunch that you can call if you have any questions. They both have plenty of beautiful pipe in your price range! I personally would suggest a Peterson pipe.
Also, welcome! If you have anyquestion feel free to ask, we are a very friendly group here! We would be happy to help in any way we can!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Those two are my favorites. Bob has a bunch of articles on here about various aspects of pipe smoking that should be helpful.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I have dealt with most of the Etailers that sponser this site and they all are good if not great. As for a pipe, well you have plenty to chose from. You won't get a super high grade for 75 but you will still get one hell of a pipe. What I would suggest is find 2 or 3 you really like that are visually pleaseing then ask around a bit to see if anyone has had any experiance with those pipes then chose. As for breaking in, there are about as many ways as there are pipe smokers. If you read around the forums a bit and use the search function you will find tons of info and help. If all else fails just ask.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
First off-welcome! I hope you come to enjoy pipe smoking and make a home here at pipesmagazine!

Secondly, I would suggest getting this: www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/gift%20sets/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=72356

Kevin, the founder of this site, worked with smokingpipes (and another site, the name of which escapes me at present), and it's an amazing deal. If you want to choose just a pipe, that's up too you. Pipe's are very indivualistic! If you don't like what the starter kit has, skip over it.

Above all...enjoy it. I can think of no finer hobby than pipe smoking.

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
Lots of good pipes to choose from for under $75. If you have a pipe and tobacco shop close by, go and look at some up close and get a feel for what you might like. Unfortunately, not every one is close enough to a pipe shop to do that. Also, welcome to our forum and it's good to have you here.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
In your price range I would actually suggest http://www.4noggins.com/PipeStarterKit2.aspx I have a Venezia and it is one of my best smokers. It comes with a Savinelli Venezia Pipe (they choose the shape though), 2 oz. Capt. Black Tobacco, Czech Pipe Tool, Bundle of Pipe Cleaners, and a Zip Top Tobacco Pouch. For the price of $47.99 you can't really beat it. I bought my Venezia for $55 a couple months back and like I said before really enjoy it. Just my two cents on the subject though.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
P/U a couple of missouri merschaum also , so you can rotate pipes and still afford gas.

jjacquin

Lurker
Nov 15, 2010
I have one more question. I am looking for a pipe with a wide tip on it.. are they called something special? or how do i go about looking for one? I was given a cyclone pipe made in london by my uncle and it has a very wide tip and i love it!

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome aboard jjacquin. another of the starter kits I believe was available from just4him.com, along with the one mentioned above.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Depending on the company the wide tip may be called a thin bite, or fishtail. OR A Wide mouthpiece and about a dozen variations on the basic theme. Look carefully at the photos of the pipes online and you can get a pretty good idea of how thin and wide the tip would be.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
Welcome to the forum.
If you buy from an etailer, I'd recommend calling in your order rather than ordering online. Both pipesandcigars.com and smokingpipes.com have great people who will be more than happy to help you choose a pipe that suits you. Dom't be afraid to ask questions or to tell them you're new at this, they're used to it. And don't worry about setting a limit on what you can afford, both companies would rather have a repeat customer than an unhappy one.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Here is a link to the article that has the start up kits:
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-smoking-thoughts/how-to-quit-cigarettes-smoke-a-pipe/
There are 4 different etailers that had them, but I am unsure whether they still offer them. Each of them are reputable sites. I would suggest any one of them to get something that is within your price range. They have a good selection of both pipes and tobacco.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
You guys are right, there are a lot of good brands out there. However, I think most of you are overlooking one thing. This will be his "only" pipe; at least for a while. The problem is if he smokes it too often it will get soggy and smoke bad. Therfore, I would suggest a Savinelli with the balsa system. He can replace the filter and can smoke it several times a day if he wants without it getting too wet. See my other post on how to get your balsa filters cheap. Should be no problem if he buys a used one in good shape.

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
Look for well care for "estate" or "presmoked" pipes. The value drops in half once it is smoked. Let someone else have the pride of a "new purchase". A good used Larsen, Stanwell or Tao and Ilsted/Svendborg would be a great choice in my estimation. Welcome to the slippery slope

jjacquin

Lurker
Nov 15, 2010
Does anyone have a website where you can buy used pipes? Also i was looking at buying a peterson but there are soooo many choices any recomendations for a good low price peterson pipe?

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Stick with a Stanwell or a Peterson and you are sure to get a good smoker, lighter, pipe cleaners and maybe a cheap pipe stand for $75.00 If you run by some good estates you could possibly make out with 2 very decent pipes and all the trimmings.

Status
Not open for further replies.