PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I remember Fish posting about taking his beloved Weimaraner in the car for an afternoon ride.........Smokin' a pipe and a ride with the dog.......... don't get much better than that..........
If I remember right, he sold the car because he didn't have the beloved hound to be with him in it any more...

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's the story on the Mercedes. Sante's friend owned that car, and wanted to sell it. Sante traded an expensive fishing rod for the car. A couple of years ago, when Sante's neuropathy got to the point that he couldn't drive any more, he traded the car to a friend for another fishing rod. I asked him which trade got him the most return. He chuckled and said, "Both of them."

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Missed this until this morning.

Very sad news. Always enjoyed his comments and amazing pipes.

RIP Banjo

Dec 24, 2012
I was away the last few days on a trip and I checked into facebook today and saw the news about Sante. This is devastating. He was a true gentleman and an all around class act. Not long ago he sent me a PM and told me he had a pipe he wanted to send me. I love that pipe and it will forever remind me of him. I saw on facebook the following post by a friend of his, that I thought I would share:
My heart hurts. Our family and the world lost an incredible soul yesterday. Sante was family, our neighbor, like second parents to me and my brother, a grandparent to my girls, mentor to us all, cancer WARRIOR, veteran, and more. Sante gave me this shirt last year when I started treatment and said “just one chemo & you’re already a survivor.” He was my inspiration. As someone who did chemo weekly for at least 10 years (?) I was in awe of his warrior mentality. Sante had surgery (and just received not great news about a diagnosis) ON Steve and my wedding day 08-08-08 but he was still there. He taught me how to use all of his fancy camera equipment which led to my love of photography as a hobby. He and Eileen watched me when I was little and their house has become the first my girls ask to walk to AS SOON AS we get to Maine. He entertained Grace and Emma (or vice versa?) and put up with all their shenanigans. They adored him. And Bonnie - wow, Bonnie was in love and would have gladly lived with him instead of us. Sante collapsed suddenly yesterday due to a mysterious bleed in his brain and he didn’t survive it. We were just 24 hrs from getting to Maine for the summer for me to return his camera equipment (for which I’m sure he would have told me to keep using it!) and visit him. I’m so sad by this. I recently told a friend that my new measuring stick for work and how I spend my time is if something tragic were to happen would I be happy with how my time was spent or not. I certainly wish we had a chance to say bye and I didn’t wait to check on him and that I spent more time soaking in his wisdom. That said I know he has suffered a lot these years since 2008 so we are grateful for all the fighting he did and bonus years he gave us that defied the f*#%ing cancer odds. So much so that cancer STILL didn’t win. He once wrote a post wondering about what type of legacy he would leave since he didn’t have children. Well, he does have kids and grandkids, just not by blood. His love of fishing, the camera, dogs, York, and so much more we remember. And his warrior mentality and positive spirit continues inside me, Steve, and my kids. Rest In Peace Sante

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That is moving. I didn't read the first paragraph carefully, so I thought it was you, Peck, writing about your relationship with Sante. Glad it wasn't.

This is one of the more universal losses I have been a (small) part of.

Dec 24, 2012
I am also sure that St Peter will be testing out some magnificent pipes and classic fishing rods with a wonderful smoking and fishing companion. RIP, Sante.

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
The beautiful tributes remind me that the truly rich amongst us are those who are brave enough to be themselves while blessing others with their kindness and generosity of spirit. Based upon the admiration and gratitude expressed on this thread by both those who knew the man well and those who knew him only from his presence on this forum, his was a full and rich life indeed. May we all be as courageous and graceful to inspire such memories when we depart. My condolences to those of you whose lives he touched.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's good to hear from members who knew Sante personally, illustrating that he was everything and more than we already admiringly thought.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
It's good to hear from members who knew Sante personally, illustrating that he was everything and more than we already admiringly thought.
Agreed, I was always hoping to meet him someday while visiting friends down that way.
tumblr_mzzmgfchjf1rbv0tfo1_500.png

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
This is heartbreaking news. Banjo and I had a couple trades and some back and forth via email in the days that followed. A finer gentleman I haven’t ever met, and I’m definitely envious of any of you who met this good man in person. I’ll never forget his post about the young girls who saw him smoking a pipe and wanted to to take a photo with him, he seemed to really get a kick out of it ! What a guy ... Rest In Peace and keep it Smokey Banjo

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I can't believe I missed this thread. Banjo was a fine man who greatly enjoyed his pipe and a he had a fine set of them. Condolences to all his family and friends.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I had a smoke this morning and thought of you, Sante. You are an icon in my pipe smoking mind. I've written it before, but I'll write it again, rest in peace, Banjo.
Death, be not proud, though some have called thee

Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so;

For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow

Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me.

From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be,

Much pleasure; then from thee much more must flow,

And soonest our best men with thee do go,

Rest of their bones, and soul's delivery.

Thou art slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men,

And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell,

And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well

And better than thy stroke; why swell'st thou then?

One short sleep past, we wake eternally

And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.

~ John Donne

Status
Not open for further replies.