PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Fow-en it is. The name is an acronym for Vereinigte Pfeifenfabriken Nürnberg (United Pipe Factories Nuremberg), and the alphabet spelling for V is "Vau" (fow), so VN would be spelled "Vau EN".

Interesting to read that Anglophones also have difficulties with German spelling. We never get why it's Kaen-saes but Ar-kaen-saw...
because those aren't really English words. The State of Kansas - An Introduction to the Sunflower State from NETSTATE.COM - https://www.netstate.com/states/intro/ks_intro.htm#:~:text=THE%20STATE%20NAME%3A,shares%20its%20origins%20with%20Kansas. No explanation though for why their website looks the way it does.

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
This fellow has a very interesting English accent. Can’t really put a finger on it, but it sounds like he learned English from someone from the southern United States. It reminds me about the time many years ago when a visiting priest came from the Philippines to speak at our local Parish. He was a very Filipino looking, but I almost laughed out loud when he greeted us with “Ina da name of the fatha...” Turns our he had learned his English from a native Italian at the Vatican. Fortunately for me I understood him perfectly, having come from an immigrant Italian-American family.

Reactions: BROBS

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
This fellow has a very interesting English accent. Can’t really put a finger on it, but it sounds like he learned English from someone from the southern United States. It reminds me about the time many years ago when a visiting priest came from the Philippines to speak at our local Parish. He was a very Filipino looking, but I almost laughed out loud when he greeted us with “Ina da name of the fatha...” Turns our he had learned his English from a native Italian at the Vatican. Fortunately for me I understood him perfectly, having come from an immigrant Italian-American family.

In Germany it's quite common to spend a year on a US highschool. A classmate of mine was gone for a year to (I believe Ann Arbor,) Michigan. When she returned, two things had changed: a) perfectly shaven armpits (at that time it was not yet so common in Germany) and b) a thick US accent.

And for accents - people always tell me I have a Dutch accent when I speak English, because I work for a Netherlands-based company and almost all people I speak English with on a daily basis are Dutch.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I belive it's a Dutch-English accent.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
He has been around awhile. I like his videos where he films for several minutes then says “OH....Hello there!“ like he didn't know the camera was rolling lol.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I must just look European as in France and Germany people kept coming up to me and speaking to me as if I would understand. An older man in a park in Berlin told me a long story before I had the heart to tell him I only spoke English. He told me of his childhood and in this park they would have huge Easter Egg hunts every year... in the pre-WW2 years.

I had the same experience in Germany @BROBS

Same here. As I'm sure everyone knows, most Europeans think we are loud and pushy, and they also note us for wearing certain types of clothes, especially shorts as well as athletic / basketball shoes. Basically, if you appear somewhat (comparatively) reserved, are not constantly speaking to everyone around you, and don't wear shorts or basketball shoes, then they won't know the difference on first impression.

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
As an (exile) German I must say his English irritates the shit out of me ;). Otherwise interesting stuff in parts.. so I really tried. The best is how YouTube's auto subtitles has major issues with his accent as well!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.