PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
They're great if you really want a small pipe with a 9mm filter option. If you're fine without the filter though you can find cheaper, lighter and, in my opinion, more attractive small pipes.

French pipes like Ropp or Chacom are the first that come to mind. Savinelli's Minuto series. Those Tsuge eggs. Peterson's Specialty Belgiques all fit this bill pretty well.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Haven’t had one of them, so I can’t comment. But if you’re open to suggestions, I really like a Nording Compass.

If you keep your eyes peeled, you can find some insanely nice grain on them. Some of the nicest birdseye I have on a pipe is on a $40 Compass.

Reactions: yanoJL and Ceriano

Ceriano

Lurker
Feb 18, 2023
USA
They're great if you really want a small pipe with a 9mm filter option. If you're fine without the filter though you can find cheaper, lighter and, in my opinion, more attractive small pipes.

French pipes like Ropp or Chacom are the first that come to mind. Savinelli's Minuto series. Those Tsuge eggs. Peterson's Specialty Belgiques all fit this bill pretty well.
Thanks Savinelli Minuto series look really nice too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two small pipes come to mind, the Peterson Belgique and the Rossi Piccolo, which to my eye are both more attractive than this one that looks rather squat and is not a good rendition of the volcano, but maybe that's just my taste.

As you may know, if you want a longer smoke in a small pipe, cuts like flake, coin, plug, and rope burn slower and longer and can give you a standard length smoke in a small pipe. Or for your short smoke, ribbon is about right, and for a really quick smoke, shag.

Reactions: yanoJL and Ceriano

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I haven't tried a Vauen tiny pipe, but I have smoked these little Ropp pipes and I can definitely recommend them, good pipes for a good price:

rstloup

Lurker
Jan 15, 2023
I have one in green. The chamber is a bit off center. Otherwise, it is nice. I've smoked it during intermissions and it serves its purpose. Can run a bit hot... As beautiful as the design is, I think it's priced a bit too high for what it is..

Reactions: Ceriano

Ceriano

Lurker
Feb 18, 2023
USA
I haven't tried a Vauen tiny pipe, but I have smoked these little Ropp pipes and I can definitely recommend them, good pipes for a good price:

I went with Ropp J16. Thanks for the tip!

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Tsuge makes great smaller smoking pipes. I have the egg with flat bottom. It is perfectly balanced. One of my favorite pipes overall. I also have a Tsuge Kiseru pipe that I smoke 2-3 times per week on my short commute home. Smokes great with small bowl. They offer many cheaper options as well.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Peterson Carroll of Carrollton pipes are tiny. Have one from 2021. Didn't get the 2022. Not sure if they will do something again this year. Too tiny for much good, but at demi-churchwarden, it's really cute.

Reactions: Ceriano

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
Just saw a story on the SP.c website about new Peterson “Junior Rusticated Series,” but I’m imagining these to end up something like a group 2. I like smaller pipes. I have a rack of all kinds of group 2-ish sized pipes and reach for something off this rack about 50% of the time, but if for some reason I’m looking for even smaller, I just go to the mini cob. It’s not often enough that I want something that small, so I haven’t looked for something “nicer” than the mini cob.

Reactions: yanoJL