PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
So i managed to get my hands on a can of Dorchester and when I opened it, I get hit in the face with a massive wave of sour plums and apricots that smell like they are about to turn. I love this fermented-esque scent, and the flavors matched the nose. Now I am wondering what blends compare to this one as far as fruitiness from the perique (and maybe the dark virginias)?

i cant smoke this rare and expensive stuff all the time but there has to be something that comes close.

thanks

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
Have you tried Sutliff Match Elizabethan/Victorian? It has that fermented, stewed prune thing going on. One of the better VaPers out there in my opinion if those are the notes you’re looking for.
Edit to add: I haven’t tried Dorchester, so I’m just going off your description.
I havent tried it but i did like the match nightcap, which is the only of those match blends that i have tried so far. I will check it out

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
The GL Pease Stratford that I recently smoked had that fermented stewed prune thing going for it, but no apricot topping. That seems to be very much an Esoterica thing. You'd need to give the Stratford a few years of aging before popping the top.
I thought Dorchester was one of the untopped ones, so I assumed it was the Perique he was tasting.

Reactions: rushx9

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
So i managed to get my hands on a can of Dorchester and when I opened it, I get hit in the face with a massive wave of sour plums and apricots that smell like they are about to turn. I love this fermented-esque scent, and the flavors matched the nose. Now I am wondering what blends compare to this one as far as fruitiness from the perique (and maybe the dark virginias)?

i cant smoke this rare and expensive stuff all the time but there has to be something that comes close.

thanks
Astley's No.2 Virginia Mixture is the only blend that I consider to be remotely close. I prefer the Pease Va/Pers but they are different beast.

Reactions: OlJawBone

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Dorchester is topped with apricot and raisins. If you want to try one less topped, there are plenty to choose from. As noted, Sutliff Match Victoria. Also Viprati, Solani 633, St. James Flake, D&R A.P. Rimboche, D&R S.J. Rimboche, Sutliff 1849, Watch City Old Dominion, Watch City #558, and a bunch more.

Wilke Lizzie Blood Virginia (light on the perique, but has a very nice Blood Orange topping).

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
Dorchester is topped with apricot and raisins. If you want to try one less topped, there are plenty to choose from. As noted, Sutliff Match Victoria. Also Viprati, Solani 633, St. James Flake, D&R A.P. Rimboche, D&R S.J. Rimboche, Sutliff 1849, Watch City Old Dominion, Watch City #558, and a bunch more.

Wilke Lizzie Blood Virginia (light on the perique, but has a very nice Blood Orange topping).
Going to order some of this blood red right now. Seems tasty

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jiminks and Jesse, did your grandmother's make a desert called stewed fruits when you were young? It was made from apricots, prunes raisins and figs and some other fruit made in a heavy syrup? Mine did but only for special occasions.. Mine also made one called Tad Lech. It was like a hard twisted cookie like thing that was covered in molasses. It had a hard chewy texture that was also covered in molasses. I am sure I am not pronouncing it right but everyone loved it.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I finally understand why esoterica blends have thousand person wait lists online
That being said, I'd never pay above standard retail. The 8oz bag I picked up last year was $45 shipped. On the other hand, I gave away my 8oz bag of Penzance to someone who likes it and I did not.

Different strokes for different folks. I also don't care for my bag of Cardiff but I keep giving it some chances. Dorchester is the only one so far I'd repeat purchase, for me.

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jiminks and Jesse, did your grandmother's make a desert called stewed fruits when you were young? It was made from apricots, prunes raisins and figs and some other fruit made in a heavy syrup? Mine did but only for special occasions.. Mine also made one called Tad Lech. It was like a hard twisted cookie like thing that was covered in molasses. It had a hard chewy texture that was also covered in molasses. I am sure I am not pronouncing it right but everyone loved it.
I've never heard of it until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.