PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Hey all, I've heard several folks mentioning that they don't smoke English blends in the summer but switch to VaPers or Va blends for the hot months. Is that really a thing with most people? How many of you do that? And if so why?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't stick to the script, but with summer here (and my a.c. out of order, replacement on the way, loaner window unit in place...) I do plan to try more of my Va/Pers on hand. I think they are lighter in taste and milder to most people. After a heavy meal, I will usually want something heavier like C&D Night Bayou for example. But warm weather on the porch or after errands in the heat, Va/Per definitely has appeal.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I smoke whatever when the mood hits. Primarily a Virginia/Oriental smoker, but no limits on when and what I smoke. I had some Presbyterian with a glass of lemonade on the back porch earlier, but am smoking Deep Hollow with a cup of iced coffee now.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
We all like to think that we are unique individuals. Much to my surprise, after 57 years of pipe smoking, I find on these forums that I fit the patterns of pipe smoking described.
I cannot taste the smoke of the "English" blends during hot weather. The Virginia blends have more flavor then and not as much in the winter. That is why.
:puffpipe:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Not with me, I smoke for enjoyment and too much structure sucks the enjoyment from the pipe. But, some members do like rules, structure and order in their world. I prefer a bit chaos. I've been know to smoke a cob now and then.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Hot weather makes me dig out some of my Virginia blends. Not so much VaPers, but straight Virginias. I like the grassy flavors more in the hot weather. I re-discovered some 4 year old Erinmore flake and lit it up. Very nice and relaxing.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm one of those that smokes an assortment of blends and an assortment of blend types. The changes of the seasons haven't played much role in what I smoke or when I smoke it. However, I do find a good Balkan blend accompanies a good severe Texas thunderstorm beautifully. There's nothing quite like ginormous balls of icy hail crashing to the ground under the strobe of near constant lightning and the deafening booms of the war drums of the gods being accompanied by the distant trumpeting of the tornado warnings barely heard over the shrieking winds, while sipping contentedly from a favorite pipe full of a supreme Balkan blend. :puffy:

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
. There's nothing quite like ginormous balls of icy hail crashing to the ground under the strobe of near constant lightning and the deafening booms of the war drums of the gods being accompanied by the distant trumpeting of the tornado warnings barely heard over the shrieking winds, while sipping contentedly from a favorite pipe full of a supreme Balkan blend. :puffy:
I'll...have to try that :)

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
I'm one of those that smokes an assortment of blends and an assortment of blend types. The changes of the seasons haven't played much role in what I smoke or when I smoke it. However, I do find a good Balkan blend accompanies a good severe Texas thunderstorm beautifully. There's nothing quite like ginormous balls of icy hail crashing to the ground under the strobe of near constant lightning and the deafening booms of the war drums of the gods being accompanied by the distant trumpeting of the tornado warnings barely heard over the shrieking winds, while sipping contentedly from a favorite pipe full of a supreme Balkan blend. :puffy:
As a former severe storms researcher (yes that means tornado chaser), and current severe storms junkie (yes, it still means storm chaser), I've never tried that. Of course, I've only been smoking a pipe for a bit over a week....
Now I have something ELSE to rig up in the chase vehicle.............
CW

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It's often puzzled me how some folks associate different blends according to the current season. Associating blends with certain drinks, yes I can understand that to a point but not the season/weather.
But of course, what a sad world it would be if we all thought the same.
Regards,
Jay.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I smoke way fewer English and Orientals in hot weather, and more VA, VaPers, burleys and even a few aros in the summer. But as soon as it cools down I bring the Latakia back.

Status
Not open for further replies.