PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I love all genres in any weather. I’ve really been digging smoking English’s in the warm weather.

Dec 28, 2015
I probably smoke Va and VaPer blends 90 % of the time regardless of the season. But I must say I find myself smoking Lat blends much less in hot weather. The only exception is that I almost always smoke a light English blend on Saturday mornings. I have no idea why.

P

pipebuddy

The best thing to stick to is to smoke what you want regardless of the season. That's what I do.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
When I started in on the Latakia it was in Florida,and it was hot.The blend I tried was the equivalent of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe,a light bodied lat mixture.I found it smoked clean and dry;

Much better in the warm evenings than the sweeter,heavier Virginia tobaccos,like Virginia Woods by McClelland.In fact,I had even put my pipes down for a year,and smoked only cigars prior to my discovering the Latakia mixtures.This was in the mid to late 90’s,however,and now I Smoke va/per and lat blends year round.

I associate the Latakia flavor with a bonfire or fire place aroma, so in the summer, the last flavor that appeals to me is one that I associate with keeping warm. I really only smoke rarely on certain situations in the winter. I do smoke Virginias year round, but in the summer heat, a nice cigar brings make me think of tropical heat... smoking my cigar while hunkered down in the sugar cane with gangsters, watching Havana burning.

Jan 8, 2013
As a former severe storms researcher (yes that means tornado chaser), and current severe storms junkie (yes, it still means storm chaser), I've never tried that. Of course, I've only been smoking a pipe for a bit over a week....
Now I have something ELSE to rig up in the chase vehicle.............
I watch The Weather Channel quite regularly around storm seasons and there was a show about storm chasers I enjoyed. What you guys do when the weather gets extreme is great. Lives, in my opinion, are truly saved by the work you all do in helping the warnings get out in the event of tornadoes. Much respect.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
in some degree yes, during the summer months (day-time especially)I lean more towards lighter Virginia forward blends ,today it was Orlik Golden, but by the evenings I'll usually switch back to more Burley heavy blends.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
Get you a big fat country gentleman mm pack that jewel with some crooner then get a glass of cold milk and find you a shade tree.You sit and fire up that pipe and your taste buds will be so happy you won't worry about the heat.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Mostly English/Balkan year round, with a good Burley as the counterpoint as needed. The percentage shifts slightly during Summer, but not that much. Don't care for VA/Pers.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Mostly English blends for me. I don't pay attention to the weather. If the English blend of choice isn't working, I switch to, say, a Va/Per. If that fails, I'll go to a straight VA.
If all that fails, I'll hit the tried and true PA, which usually fills the bills.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hmmm ... I do prefer something less pronounced in my pipe during the summer, but not necessarily because of the hot weather. Since outdoors bars are quite frequent around here, I do like to smoke a cigar when out for a drink or just for coffee in a "piaza". Since my cigar norm is the maduro wrapper, when I get home or whenever I have a chance to smoke a pipe at any given point during the day, I instinctively reach for some opened virginia, burley based, even va/per or aromatic which I am not that big of a fan of. I do keep an English or two open during the summer, and do enjoy that whenever I feel like it. I like rules, but I also like to break rules, so when it comes to pipe ... rules and customs, well I keep them as a general guideline more than anything else.

glaswegian

Lurker
Jul 4, 2018
If I smoke during day time in summer I prefer the Va/Pers or light aromatics. Evenings I Need my english blends for a proper finish of the day.

At wintertime my taste gets darker like the weather here in Germany.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never let the change of seasons dictate what I smoke. I smoke whatever I am in the mood for as I smoke inside almost exclusively now. I don't smoke English blends anymore but when I did, I would smoke them in the heat of the Florida summers if the mood struck, which is did almost daily.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I tend to want lighter blends in the summer. I still smoke lat blends, I just don't want as many of them. Likewise, I smoke Virginias in the winter, but I smoke a higher percentage of latakia blends.

groovediggerdan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2017
Possum Trot, MO
I hadn't even thought about the seasons' impact on my pipe smoking, but for me it seems like it would fall right in line with my food and drink patterns. In the cold weather I go for "heavier" stuff like meat and taters, stews, etc. usually with a stout. In the summer, sliced tomatoes and onions, tuna salad, cheese and crackers, etc. with lagers or kolsches (sp?).
Gonna set my beloved MM965 aside for a bit and get out the PS LBF. Thanks for the inspiration!

witchofthehollow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2018
I like to smoke lighter Virginia’s and vapers in the spring and summer just because of the citrusy notes etc. And I for one do Like latskiss more in the winter because the smokiness reminds me of campfires and it just feels right for the cold seasons.. . I also love seasonal blends like sleepy Hollow and others. But of course like most if I’m in the mood for something I’m going to smoke it regardless!

Status
Not open for further replies.