PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
What do I do if my package was sent to wrong address? I ordered a pipe and tobacco from boswells and the usps tracking site says it was delivered on the front porch but it isn't here. Any advice??

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Yes, there is a number on the USPS website you can call. And I would also check with Boswells and see what exact address they have listed. If it's close just drive over there.. with your i.d., and explain.
On a side note, I have noticed a significant decrease in USPS customer service, delivery time, and over all satisfaction over the last 5 yrs.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'd start with your carrier. Do you know him/her? After that, call Boswell's and see what their policy is. If you need to pursue it yourself, call the local PO before you call the national number. The local PO may be a lot more helpful. May be. The national USPS help/search/destroy people are just this side of useless. Not quite without merit, but helpful enough to almost be effective.
Read this post, starting here.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
One possibility is that a lazy substitute carrier just marked it "delivered" and threw it in the back of the truck. You might still get it delivered in the next day or two. It's happened to me before.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Damn! I've had stellar service with USPS. Of course, every things better in Alaska. Now, if we could just get a pipe and tobacco store within 1000 miles. Oh, and fruit that is ripe as opposed to not quite or overly so.
Expensive enough to be insured? I'd start with Boswell's. In my experience woods is right. The local post people are apt to be more concerned and helpful.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That sucks! I hope you are able to track the package down.
The whole drop it on the front porch and leave thing drives me crazy! My delivery service does this as well. Had a package blow all the way across the front yard and into the neighbors yard. It was just luck that I noticed it when I grabbed my mail out of the mailbox. Otherwise I may have never even known it was delivered. :(

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, don't forget, you can chose to have USPS not leave packages on your front porch, but you do have to opt out (I believe everyone is automatically opted in).
The national USPS help/search/destroy people are just this side of useless. Not quite without merit, but helpful enough to almost be effective.
I don't have many USPS issues, but when you do, Woodsroad nails their response. Bascially everyone starts looking at their shoes and mumbling.
HOpefully it ended up back at your local PO. Keep us posted, that is frustrating.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
I'm with Warren, only good experiences here in Indianapolis...Boswells are nice pipes...I have not tried any of their tobacco. Good advice given so far with utilizing the local PO. I usually have to go pick mine up after they leave their obligatory slip, but today they got it right and as luck would have it I got my new pipe (Stanwell Apple) and 5 tins of tobacco. I actually left a note on the door requesting them to drop it so I could get it today. I live in an apartment complex so it was protected from the elements. They will get it right and you'll be puffing in no time. :)

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Quite a few times this year (probably 6) I've checked the tracking on various orders being delivered through USPS and the tracking showed it was delivered when it was not. They always showed up the next day.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
I've also had packages marked delivered before they actually made it to my house. Once was because the mail person scanned it and forgot to actually leave it, I had a couple packages that same day. And then I've had it marked delivered, because it was actually delivered atleast 3 times to neighbors around me and twice onto a totally different street. This happened within the past 2 years, granted I do get a lot of packages.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it was delivered to the wrong address, the recipient, if honest, would just turn it back to the delivery person and it could come to you in the next day or two. Likewise if the postal person was too lazy to walk to the porch that day but does it soon. I'd start tracking it now, but hope its shows up in the meantime. Sometimes you can track packages down at the main post office where they have been returned on some pretext. Mostly, I have had good service from USPS over the decades, and have attributed at least some of the complaints to customer error. After all, everything is always someone else's fault, we all think. But I have had a few complete disasters. Once they sent a fragment of the address label from a package of Christmas presents my sister sent us. I mean, it was a ragged shred, with no merchandise ever.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
One of my pipes was delivered to the wrong address several years back. The vendor had transcribed the numbers in the address. Luckily, the people who lived at that address where able to track me down and let me know they had received the package by mistake.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
USPS is not without problems. What @seacapain proposed is exactly what has happened to me in the past: the substitute carrier didn't leave it.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
There's a possibility it was delivered and someone walked off with it. All my packages are just sitting on my doorstep whenever I order anything, sometimes for hours in plain view on a fairly busy street. I would opt into the signing for the package. If it says it was delivered they'll probably be covered on their end legally.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I usually have to go pick mine up after they leave their obligatory slip
I once encountered a mailperson who had no intention of lugging a box on her route. Rather, she merely filled-in the details of an "Attempt To Deliver" notice before she started her route, and left it in my mailbox with the other mail. I was expecting the package, so when I saw that she had passed my house, I immediately called the local P.O. station and inquired. They found the package on the shelf in the station. I hope her supervisor got onto her shenanigans, but alas, there's probably little to expect in the way of discipline.
If money meant nothing to me, I would mail a 70lb. box of concrete to myself periodically just to punish her. :lol:

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Her, and everyone else on the line;)
Used to sort packages at UPS. From the time you leave a package at your office for pick-up to the time it leaves the center (and thus the city) your package has been handled by at least four, but maybe five, different people.
Anecdotally the USPS seems ineffectual, but in reality it's a marvel of efficiency and ingenuity. I really don't know how they managed before computers!

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
Yes! Thank god for honest neighbors! It's 930 here in arkansas and my neighbor called and told me he found it. Apparently his daughter brought it in before he got home from work and put it in his garage. I will get to pick it up after work! All is well with me now lol

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
The same thing happened to me last month. I filed a complaint with a USPS supervisor that went absolutely no where for a few days. I finally caught the postman and told him about the issue. He tracked the problem down in about an hour, found the package and delivered it safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.