PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
RE: nippers: I've used them on occasion when only the tip of the cleaner is dirty. Yeah, I reckon it seems like a waste to throw away a cleaner 90% clean, but you have to be careful too: depending on your nippers, the new end can be too sharp and pointy and you may end up scratching the pipe: not worth it, IMO.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Just about 30 years ago, I commissioned a custom-made, magnum-size pipe, and only those extra long pipe-cleaners will work in this particular pipe. However, just the first inch of these extra long pipe-cleaners get funky...so, I just cut off the tip ends -and use the still clean, central portion of the pipe-cleaners, on my shorter, conventional-length pipes.

I use sharp, side-cutters to clip that mentioned, soiled inch, off my longer pipe cleaners. Dull clippers will leave a burr at the very tip of the cleaner's wire core -and it will scratch the hole inside of the pipe-stem.

Reactions: JOHN72

ohfatty

Lurker
Dec 1, 2019
A few years ago, I restored several hundred pipes. I unexpectedly ran out of cleaners, I ordered more, but in a hurry, I retrieved a couple of big handfuls, soaked them in a bucket of hot water and Oxiclean, overnight. Rinsed them and was shocked at how clean they were. Put them in a pillowcase type bag and put them in the dryer. Saved me in a pinch. I have to believe most everyday ordinary folk, with the exception of extreme environmentalists, and Scrooge types would do this. That said to each his own....

Reactions: SpookedPiper

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Once both ends are used for inside the stem and draft in shank, I bend the cleaner and clean the mortise. Then with same bent cleaner, clean out the chamber. By that point, it's pretty much done. I don't see any clean bit. Sometimes, I'll go over the whole thing again with another cleaner. This is right after smoking before going indoor.

Reactions: JOHN72
Mar 1, 2014
Maximize pipe cleaner use?
I've been using the same one for the last 6 years.
Just toss it in the dishwasher every evening and it's good as new for the next day.
Don't forget to try a Shank Brush as well (which is arguably more effective than pipecleaners).
It could be argued Pipecleaners are mostly just for a thin button and for pipes with too much bend to fit a brush.

Mar 1, 2014
I use both and then bend it to clean the bowl. When I look to save money, penny items usually don’t make it onto my list.
For the bottom of the Bowl and 9mm Filter pipes I use Q-Tips.
Most people already have those for your ears anyway

(And YES Q-Tips are SUPPOSED to go INSIDE your Ear Canal. Any time Doctors blame broken eardrums on Q-Tips they're just announcing that another person failed the daily life IQ test.)

Status
Not open for further replies.