PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I finally put fourth the effort to sit down with my pipe collection and clean them all. As I’m sitting here I remembered a little trick I’ve developed; when using the pipe cleaners I utilize both ends during the process, but it still leaves approximately half of the cleaner unused (the middle portion) so what I do is grab my side cutters from the tool box and clip off the used ends, then I can use the remainder and not have any going to waste. Hope this helps someone, or maybe it’s just common knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I cut a few with a set of shears a long time ago. I found that the shears bent the new cut tip ever so slightly and caused it to scrape inside the stem in many cases.

I guess the side cutters would make a nicer cut and not bend the new end. I may try that one day. I usually use one cleaner per pipe in routine use, but for the periodic mass cleaning days, it would be helpful to reduce the pile of dirties by a third or so,

1617467815821.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I take it as a useful suggestion. Usually I can get both ends dirty enough, and the middle at least somewhat dirty not to do this, but for multiple pipes, I think it might serve a purpose. I don't think it is a matter of economy, though I do enjoy being thrifty. I think it is just a sense of efficiency; if you can get more out of an item, a Kleenex or a toothpick, why not? I'll sure remember this, should the apparent need arise. Laundering them is a bridge too far, to my mind, unless I found myself in short supply for some reason.

Reactions: Ebarber and JOHN72

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I snip tapered cleaners when cleaning the shank's airway on estates. I use a pair of Wustof kitchen shears.

:col:

Reactions: SpookedPiper

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Washing a pipe cleaner or snipping it to use the center that still dirty but less so sounds a bit much....they are essential to the process but not worth the effort to me.
To each their own..

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I clean pipes because it's necessary, I don't enjoy spending time doing so but, tools should be kept in order. Ergo, I swab with cleaners until one emerges unsullied. I have no wish to cut, wash or otherwise be economical with pipe cleaners. They're cheap, useful and I have no need to be "Scrooge like", penny pinching when I have better things I could be doing.

That said, if such behavior fits your personality, keep on keeping on. More power to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.