Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
I must admit the thought has crossed my mind too. Main thing I thought of is if there did happen to be any residual moisture that happened to not get soaked up by the pipe cleaner or cleaned out of the chamber, that it might have a chance to slowly seep down the stem and sit waiting for you on your next smoke.
but…..I suppose if the pipe is cleaned shouldnt matter at all. Example number 3,489 of me overthinking the pipe thing haha

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
Pipe cleaners and a swab of the bowl with some paper towel and no need to worry about moisture. I have my cobs sitting in a basket and briars both ways but mostly what I am smoking lays on my dinning room table sideways unless it is a sitter.

Just don’t leave the pipe in your pocket, my wife accidentally washed one of my shirts that had a cob in the pocket. That was rather unfortunate.

You will learn to ignore most of the nonsensical myths and old wives tales about pipes and tobacco. There are plenty of other things in life to overthink and over analyze.

Reactions: orvet

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Saw an early 1960s movie last week and there was a pipe stand on a desk. Some of the pipes were stem up, some stem down. Stem down has been mentioned in literature before TV, movies and the Internet. No need to worry about the stem down myth.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
All kidding aside there is one good reason to store your precious pipes upside down in the rack; it is more SAFE.
Pipes are like toddlers; they tend to escape at any given opportunity. Meaning they "slip" out of the rack and the outcome is often devastating. I prefer my racks to have "slots" like the thirties Dunhill one I posted. No slots, I store them upside down. Helps me sleep better.

Reactions: Homer

dog_park_piper

Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
All kidding aside there is one good reason to store your precious pipes upside down in the rack; it is more SAFE.
Pipes are like toddlers; they tend to escape at any given opportunity. Meaning they "slip" out of the rack and the outcome is often devastating. I prefer my racks to have "slots" like the thirties Dunhill one I posted. No slots, I store them upside down. Helps me sleep better.
This is true!

midcentry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Utah
If the pipe is made in the southern hemisphere you have to store it upside down compared to pipes made in northern hemisphere. Otherwise the moisture does not know which way to go and stays in the pipe.
This is what i have heard as well! Also, if you ever get lost without a compass, smoke something wet and watch which way the moisture goes!

• Haha
Reactions: orlandofurioso
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Myth with 1 exception - Peterson System pipes

This is likely where the myth began. Peterson recommends storing the system pipes upside down with the stem detached overnight. Do not turn it upside down until after cleaning, and do not tip it to empty the ash. This is because the reservoir contains fluid by design. Storing it upside down AFTER cleaning allows it to dry thoroughly.

dog_park_piper

Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
The irony:

While we praise how frickin durable briar is, we also do weird false things to care for it as if it were highly delicate.

This is like when people say how frickin tough the polymerization is on a cast iron as it seasons but we also say that a little soap is going to destroy it.