PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dog_park_piper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
I've seen enough warnings online against storing pipes bowl side up on a rack that it warrants bringing it up in the forum.

I have some bent briars that only fit in the wood rack I have if they are placed from the top down.

Do we think this leads to moisture not leaving the bowl well enough?

Or is this a pipe myth?

Reactions: seanv

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
NOVA
I’ve never heard this. The only thing I could think would be collection of dust in the bowl right side up.

Without solar or some other type of heating wouldn’t moisture in the bowl be drawn towards a desiccant or other dryer substance in the vicinity?

Reactions: seanv

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I clean my pipes after using them and then store them upside down. I haven't had anything bad happen, no mouthful of tobacco juice or ash, no funky smells or tastes. And I keep them where there's plenty of air circulating. The only difference I've seen is it's easier to get them in and out of the rack. But, as always, YMMV.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you thoroughly clean them after smoking there won't be any moisture left to worry about. I haven't used racks for several years now and just lay them on their sides with no issue. At one time I used this rack and it worked fine.

20210926_205033.jpg

dog_park_piper

Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
If you thoroughly clean them after smoking there won't be any moisture left to worry about. I haven't used racks for several years now and just lay them on their sides with no issue. At one time I used this rack and it worked fine.

View attachment 233266
Good to hear.

If I use pipe cleaners to remove moisture from inside the pipe before racking upside down, then there's not going to be enough moisture left over to "flow" any one direction.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Good to hear.

If I use pipe cleaners to remove moisture from inside the pipe before racking upside down, then there's not going to be enough moisture left over to "flow" any one direction.
Don't forget to wipe out the chamber with a paper towel. Regular full cleanings negates the need for resting a pipe as well. Orientation on a rack isn't going to affect the pipe at all. Just one more pipe myth.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've seen enough warnings online against storing pipes bowl side up on a rack that it warrants bringing it up in the forum.

I have some bent briars that only fit in the wood rack I have if they are placed from the top down.

Or is this a pipe myth?
It’s just another myth. Anyone who believes this is simple in the head.