PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Hello,

Let's say I find a blend that I love everything about, except the nicotine content is lacking.

What do you do?

Do you "add dark burley and stir"? Do you find a similar blend that has a higher percent?

I'm curious on a general information level about adding components to a blend you enjoy, but also because I particularly enjoy a blend or two that could use a little revving up in the nicotine department.

Thank you for your time.
-
M

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Under regular circumstances I don't get nicotine from pipe tobacco. I had to load four flakes of Rustica in a magnum pipe to feel it. Maybe smoke more of your favorite blend in a larger pipe to keep from altering anything you love about it by adding different components.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Inhale :ROFLMAO:

Joking aside, I smoke for flavor and enjoyment, and get almost no nicotine hit from pipe tobacco anymore. Likely due to my daily use of tobacco-free nicotine pouches.

Some say retrohaling gives you more nicotine. But if you do that constantly, it won't be long until your nose looks like Artie Lange's

As others have suggested, adding a pinch of five brothers can get you there, too. It's strong, pretty neutral, and pairs well with damn near anything.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Hello,

Let's say I find a blend that I love everything about, except the nicotine content is lacking.

What do you do?

Do you "add dark burley and stir"? Do you find a similar blend that has a higher percent?

I'm curious on a general information level about adding components to a blend you enjoy, but also because I particularly enjoy a blend or two that could use a little revving up in the nicotine department.

Thank you for your time.
-
M
This isn't uncommon for me with Latakia blends. I love them, but I also need nicotine. Basically, I just smoke the lower strength blends after stronger ones. That way, I can just enjoy the smoke without worrying about nicotine satisfaction.

I do usually keep some Kendal Kentucky on hand, which I can add as needed. HH Bold Kentucky works well as a supplement to milder flakes, too. I usually don't mess around though as I prefer to smoke most blends as intended.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
My all day smoke is Haunted Bookshop. It’s nicotine content is enough to satisfy, but my primary goal is flavor. If I get bombed by nicotine then it’s an added benefit compared to flavor profile.

Try exploring the C&D library based on Strength to start. Then narrow it down versus blend types that typically have higher nicotine contents, most of which are burley based. The exploring part will be fun. Or you could just grab what’s already been said. Happy hunting. ?☕

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Inhale :ROFLMAO:

Joking aside, I smoke for flavor and enjoyment, and get almost no nicotine hit from pipe tobacco anymore. Likely due to my daily use of tobacco-free nicotine pouches.

Some say retrohaling gives you more nicotine. But if you do that constantly, it won't be long until your nose looks like Artie Lange's

As others have suggested, adding a pinch of five brothers can get you there, too. It's strong, pretty neutral, and pairs well with damn near anything.
Here’s a visual just in case...
4D7584BE-DA63-4233-8E5B-6FC466C4A37A.jpeg
????

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Hello,

What do you do?

Thank you for your time.
-
M
My go to blend that I smoke at least twice a day is really a parfait of Royal Yacht and Five Brothers. I love the flavoring that the old Murray's era Royal Yacht had. But, the taste of that tobacco burning is a little "muddy" to me. I love the fact that Five Brothers has little flavor of its own except straight tobacco - it's a strong burley that absorbs the flavor of other blends beautifully. So, about 10 or so years ago, I loaded the first third of the bowl with Royal Yacht and the last 2/3rds with Five Brothers. It absorbed the mysterious flavoring of the Royal Yacht, while providing the strong tobacco taste that I also enjoy. So, when I smoke down to where all that is left is the Royal Yacht, I simply end the smoke.

I also love Rattray's Black Mallory, but it is not very strong. So, I mix 2/3rds Black Mallery with 1/3rd Five Brothers. The Five Brothers doesn't interfere with the wonderful taste of the Black Mallory, but gives it a boost in the strength department. I beef up other blends that I smoke with Five Brothers using the same method.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I have a tin of pure Perique for that purpose. Dropping a few pinches over a 50g pouch raises nic content significantly. I'd loved it until I'd mixed too much of it and since then I don't want to smoke it, hear or talk about Perique.
There are plenty of strong blends around, grab some of those.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Thanks for all the information folks.

I should say, there are times when I don't have a pipe for a couple days, and at night I'd like a bowl, but sometimes I want an extra kick.

I'll save this so I can look back and try a few things.
In that case, I'd just pick a naturally stronger blend. The various Gawith ropes and dark flakes as @saltedplug suggested, but Bold Kentucky, Irish Flake, Jackknife, C&D Burley Flakes #1 and #3 are all favorites of mine and almost always easy to find as well

I've really been enjoying Burley Flake #1 lately. Definitely on the rustic/unflavored side, but I find plenty of nuances in it to keep me interested, and the nicotine level is pretty high. I just find it super satisfying. The dark burley C&D uses is really good!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In that case, I'd just pick a naturally stronger blend. The various Gawith ropes and dark flakes as @saltedplug suggested, but Bold Kentucky, Irish Flake, Jackknife, C&D Burley Flakes #1 and #3 are all favorites of mine and almost always easy to find as well

I've really been enjoying Burley Flake #1 lately. Definitely on the rustic/unflavored side, but I find plenty of nuances in it to keep me interested, and the nicotine level is pretty high. I just find it super satisfying. The dark burley C&D uses is really good!
Surprising how a basal and straight-forward taste can captivate a palate. One of the iterations of Bracken Flake about 2015 did mine, but then of course SG radically changed the blend, which according to the experience of SP, they were prone to do. But I can remember a 6th month stretch when I got home from work when there was nothing else for me.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Hello,

What do you do?

Thank you for your time.
-
M

Tobacco-based nasal snuff. Fribourg & Tryer's High Dry Toast, Wilson of Sharrow's Irish no 22, and Toque's Natural Toast are all unscented, world-class blends that mesh well with any pipe tobacco.