Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
Bought a forty year old collectible pipe recently. It was sold as "unsmoked." Sure seems like it is so. But pulled the stem out the other day and...not sure. Maybe it was...er...briar dust? Maybe it was a tiny bit of residue from tobacco flakes? Can't smell a thing, no burns, no bite marks, no nothing down in the bowl. Other ways to confirm a pipe really has never been smoked?

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Bought a forty year old collectible pipe recently. It was sold as "unsmoked." Sure seems like it is so. But pulled the stem out the other day and...not sure. Maybe it was...er...briar dust? Maybe it was a tiny bit of residue from tobacco flakes? Can't smell a thing, no burns, no bite marks, no nothing down in the bowl. Other ways to confirm a pipe really has never been smoked?
An uncharred chamber?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Briar dust is red or tan, like mahogany, and can often be found in new pipes.
If the pipe seems unsmoked, it probably is.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I agree, the dust could be from manufacture if there are no others signs of the pipe being smoked. The chamber is the big tell. Even a few smokes will leave some signs of an ember, more so if the bowl is uncoated. If the dust is the only clue, I'd guess it was unsmoked.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Smell test. If it's been smoked you will most likely smell it. If it doesn't smell like Captain Black consider yourself lucky, you got a good one that you can dedicate to your blend of choice.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I've purchased pipes that were labeled "unsmoked" and what I'm sure they really meant was unsmoked since they refurbished or cleaned them because it was quite evident that they had been smoked even though they were in pristine condition. That's why before purchasing I always ask any seller that is claiming "unsmoked" what exactly they mean by unsmoked. If I want a legit unsmoked pipe I purchase "new". And even then I ask the seller if it's ever been smoked.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
Great suggestions and advice, thanks everyone. So here is the pipe:

D1.JPG
It is a '79 Dunhill Quaint, quaint indeed. (I've written about it elsewhere on the site.) I tried to take a photo inside the bowl...
D2.JPG
Not easy to see. Seems okay... But something wasn't quite right so I took the stem off to have a look...
D3.JPG
Looks like stained briar and no tobacco residue. No smell in there. Minute particles of brownish dust. But also something else. I had to sort of gently pry and poke and then I figure out the problem:

D4.JPG
It was full of heroin. I ought to have guessed that based on what I paid for the pipe. Well, problem solved.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
You snort that powder (it should be cocaine) before you smoke. The stem of your pipe is a good delivery method. For the best effect, get someone to blow hard into the bowl and it will shoot it straight into your brain. Solitary is fine too. Just less effective, IMO.

Clears out the sinuses and allows you to intensely focus on the blend for the next several hours. Gives solid energy to write long, detailed reviews as well.

Did you think we were all addicted to nicotine? That's very sweet of you.

It's an old timer trick. Yours just came pre-loaded. Lucky you!

• Haha
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
If someone was using heroin in a Dunhill it would be completely ruined and not as nice as the photos look. Plus.... any heroin addict worth their weight would not leave heroin in a pipe or do anything but use a needle. I’ve had to deal with a few and they usually would kill their mother for that much white powder. But that is an nice Dunhill......

Status
Not open for further replies.