PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Over the years of watching eBay auctions I've identified a number of different types of collectors, among them collectos that I've dubbed "period collectors". They buy items that they feel recreate a complete period environment. When one of these collectors goes after a pipe, it's often one with all of the extras, that's part of the point, and they will leave the average pipe collector dead in the dust. They don't care about price.
You are correct, I know such a person. Wants to have everything related to the 1930's. Clothes, jewellery, car, utility articles, house decoration etc. And of course pipes. He has some nice 1930's Dunhills.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Ah, yes a lovely unsmoked Dunnie.
Congrats to your friend Arno, I believe to know who bought the pipe :)
It was an absolute steal and still it lingered quite a while on the auction site.
However; I did not think much of the sellers conduct . The small size and the shape bothered me too.
A poorly repaired box which is possibly not original to the pipe. I can never bring myself to smoking an unsmoked pipe so valuble, so I would have bought it for profit only and I did not feel like that. Mayby I'm not yet entirely corrupted :)
Can be smaller sized pipes are less desirable, they are also more rare.
I've witnessed small Dunnies go for stellar prices on Feebay.
Like a tiny 1927 Shell Briar in like new condition, with a silver mount, which I bought for a song.

Last edited:
Reactions: yanoJL

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Ah, yes a lovely unsmoked Dunnie.
Congrats to your friend Arno, I believe to know who bought the pipe :)
It was an absolute steal and still it lingered quite a while on the auction site.
However; I did not think much of the sellers conduct . The small size and the shape bothered me too.
A poorly repaired box which is possible not original to the pipe. I can never bring myself to smoking an unsmoked pipe so valuble, so I would have bought it for profit only and I did not feel like that. Mayby I'm not yet entirely corrupted :)
Can be smaller sized pipes are less desirable, they are also more rare.
I've witnessed small Dunnies go for stellar prices on Feebay.
Haha! He lives in the same city as you 😉
It was a steal, think it lingered quite a while because the seller did not mention "Dunhill", only "Bruyere".
The box is my only concern, at least it is time-original.
For the price that my friend paid I would have documented it thoroughly first, then smoked it. Pipes are meant to be smoked in my opinion. But he saw a bit of profit, which is fine, to each their own.
You are right, another plus! 😄

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Over the years of watching eBay auctions I've identified a number of different types of collectors, among them collectos that I've dubbed "period collectors". They buy items that they feel recreate a complete period environment. When one of these collectors goes after a pipe, it's often one with all of the extras, that's part of the point, and they will leave the average pipe collector dead in the dust. They don't care about price.
You are correct, I know such a person. Wants to have everything related to the 1930's. Clothes, jewellery, car, utility articles, house decoration etc. And of course pipes. He has some nice 1930's Dunhills.
That's fascinating. Thanks for the responses!

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Sadly not, but every now and then a little wonder happens. Like with this little fellow.
There is an outstanding tobaccoshop in Apeldoorn .
A miracle yes! There are so many Dunhill scams going on on Marktplaats. I really thought he would get a blanc box with a basket pipe inside. Luckily I was wrong!
Van Werven yes, I have been there. But like many tobacconists he is growing old. No one will like to take over a tobaccoshop and then *poefff* gone.. Just like Willem Schimmel in Zutphen.

• Sad
Reactions: orlandofurioso

EA/DC

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2023
the Netherlands
I also saw that, but fishtail, Bruyere, that all is correct. It is the original box as in, the family never changed the box. Perhaps something went wrong at the store where the pipe originally was purchased.

That could very well be. I have something similar with a 1967 Shell Briar lovat. The former and 1st owner was 100% sure that it came new in that box.

Looking at the shape nr. on this pipe, 59, I think it is of no use to look for 71 on the internet for info about it. / 'them'. ;)

It is not a 59... I saw a few 259 F/T pipes on the internet that have somewhat the shape of this beautyful pipe. But certainly not the same. This is an interesting pipe anyway, with or without that box I think.