PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I am curious of others opinion and seeking feedback. I was gifted a new tin of University Flake and after reading reviews was excited about it. A plum or blueberry note. Upon opening it the flake looked great and smelled nice. I twisted and loaded. I did get an ever so slight hint of the fruit on char and almost undetectable tid bits in bowl (2-4 times) but more on the aroma rather than taste. It was like I could smell i blubbery pancake from 3 blocks away if the wind was just perfect for about 1.2 seconds. Not enough to enjoy

I want to like it but I don’t get it. Maybe I am not a burley person but I do enjoy some burleys. This one just has no sweetness which I do require. No molasses, almost flavorless to me. I did read to rub it out and let it dry out. I will try again another time but if no improvement I am going to have call it University Fake.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have had a couple tins of this sitting around for years (one of them is the Rattray's labeled version). May have to finally pop them and try it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
love that one but it's a tobacco forward blend. Sure there is some type of plum topping but it's not really that strong or in the for front. I almost feel like people like pointing it out because it shows that they have a sensitive palate. Sounds to me like you're smoking it too fast. I suggest not rubbing it out too. I personally find my preferred way to smoke it and get the most flavor and all that is actually to pull the flake apart into strips similar to blends that are labeled ready rub. I find it smokes best and most flavorfully that way. I wouldn't really call it a burly blend it's University Flake. One of the tobaccos I really pick up on is the Indian leaf which is a bit like Orientals as far as flavor profiles go.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Upping the ante on the dry time might help. Even to the point of it being seemingly excessive, or perhaps anxiety-inducing. Some flakes are just finicky like that, and the consensus is that this is one of them.
last flake of it I smoked was so intensely dry I could make snuff out of it with my fingers. It still packed the flavors all of them.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Upping the ante on the dry time might help. Even to the point of it being seemingly excessive, or perhaps anxiety-inducing. Some flakes are just finicky like that, and the consensus is that this is one of them.
This is an excellent point. There are a lot of flakes out there that can go from gold to garbage with a mere hour or so of drying time difference. Stonehaven comes to mind.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Aa a fan of Burley/Virginia's I love this blend and it's subtle topping. And it's always available. Dry it a bit and put some age on it as well. UF is in my top ten tobaccos.
it opened up the world of tobacco forward blends to me. I have to admit before this one I was about aros. I felt like other forms of tobacco already covered the tobacco forward. Little did I know. Yeah certainly in the top 10

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I am curious of others opinion and seeking feedback. I was gifted a new tin of University Flake and after reading reviews was excited about it. A plum or blueberry note. Upon opening it the flake looked great and smelled nice. I twisted and loaded. I did get an ever so slight hint of the fruit on char and almost undetectable tid bits in bowl (2-4 times) but more on the aroma rather than taste. It was like I could smell i blubbery pancake from 3 blocks away if the wind was just perfect for about 1.2 seconds. Not enough to enjoy

I want to like it but I don’t get it. Maybe I am not a burley person but I do enjoy some burleys. This one just has no sweetness which I do require. No molasses, almost flavorless to me. I did read to rub it out and let it dry out. I will try again another time but if no improvement I am going to have call it University Fake.
I wasn't a fan, and didn't sense much blueberry influence. Then again I'm not into detecting hard to find flavors all that much. So it may be there but too much effort to me. Recently had St Patricks Day by Peterson and the blackberry is very well done and obvious.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Yep, it really clicked with me after a few weeks of 'airtime', the Va comes through more and the blueberry, or whatever it is, really compliments it on the retrohale.

I had my first tin dried out pretty well in a jar, but I panicked thinking it was too dry and rubbed out a fresh tin to go in with it to 'rehydrate' it and now I'm back to square one.

But I learnt a lesson about how 'dry' tobacco can get, and my own personal preferences for this blend.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
I wonder if they’ve tamed the topping some. I always enjoyed this blend as a treat but the topping was just a bit too much for me. I haven’t smoked any in a long time though, could be just another false memory.

If the topping was that heavy back then, well I'm pretty disappointed in the current stuff.

I like to keep the empty tins and smell them from time to time, oh baby.

• Haha
Reactions: ofafeather

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
If you want to try the Plug version then you will find it sold under the Cascadia name on Pipes and Cigars - I am absolutely sure that the Cascadia Virginia Plug is unsliced University Flake. I happen to like University Flake on odd occasions and it seems I am not the only one who thinks the two are interchangeable!

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Wayne, this is a blend you have to let dry out. You don't want alot of moisture present when you light it up. Also, rub it out. It smokes alot better if you rub it out rather than folding it. I smoke alot of University Flake... it is a bare bone, tobacco forward blend. Nothing fancy... a robust, old school smoke. Give it a few more tries and let me know how it goes.

OldWill

Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
If you want to try the Plug version then you will find it sold under the Cascadia name on Pipes and Cigars - I am absolutely sure that the Cascadia Virginia Plug is unsliced University Flake. I happen to like University Flake on odd occasions and it seems I am not the only one who thinks the two are interchangeable!
All the Cascadia plugs need a lot of drying time, but I find them delicious. University flake needs some age in my opinion.

blackpowderpiper

Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
University Flake is a tobacco that I enjoy. I don't enjoy aromatics at all and UF is as close to an aromatic as I want to get. If you're expecting blueberries to jump out on your palate with every puff, you will be disappointed. I can clearly detect the topping in the room note and with every puff I get a very slight, very nuanced taste of the plum or blueberry topping. As has been mentioned, this is a very tobacco forward blend. Dry your tobacco, rub it out and smoke slowly. You may just learn to like this one.