PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
My strategy - wanna try it? Open it - keep out 2oz,, jar/Mylar the rest! Personally I would Mylar it in 8 x 2oz - then crack it open anytime to like to try it……

life is too short man

To answer your question though - it seems to just get better
This is likely the plan. I’ve had Union Square fresh, and it was ok. I jarred it for almost 2 years and it showed significant improvement.
I’ve got 8oz and 16oz Mylar 7mm so I’ll probably crack it, take 2oz for smoking now, and bag 3x2oz for down the road.

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
If I try something that I like I'll order several more tins. I have enough different tobaccos open at any one time that it takes me a while to finish tins off, so the result of natural attrition is that my cellared tins age by default. That's the progression that my Union Square tins are going through. My first tin was dated early 2019 and I tried it earlier this year, so it had a couple of years on it. I liked it and ordered more. I just cracked the second tin which is also from early 2019 and I really couldn't tell any difference from the first tin. My guess is that five years is optimal with diminishing returns after that. I see that you've already opened the tin, but just for kicks you might ask Greg what he thinks. There's a link to ask him questions in the FAQ on his website.

pip01

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 3, 2018
NJ
I had a first a first edition Union Square that was over 10yrs. old. It was the best virginian I ever had.

Reactions: vink