PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"The worst combo ever is Issac Hunt?"

Funny you should say that Ettrick, here is one of 2 such named on my tree....

1851 census for Isaac Alfred Hunt living at Commercial Street, Lenton, Nottinghamshire is thus

Wm HUNT.....HEAD....AGE 33.....LACE MAKER
HELENA HUNT.....WIFE.....AGE 32
HELENA HUNT....DAU.....AGE 9.....SCHOLAR
WILLIAM HUNT.....SON.....AGE 2
ISAAC A HUNT....SON.....AGE 7 MONTHS <--------------------------------------
HARRIET MARSHALL.....NIECE.....AGE 11.......LACE WORKER

1861 census for Isaac Alfred Hunt living at 14 Parliament Terrace, Lenton, Nottinghamshire is thus

WILLIAM HUNT.....HEAD.....AGE 43.....WIDOWER.....LACE MAKER
HELENA HUNT.....DAU.....AGE 19.....HOUSEMAID
WILLIAM HUNT.....SON....AGE 12.....EMBOSSER
ISAAC A HUNT....SON.....AGE 10.....SCHOLAR <----------------------------------------
CHARLOTTE HUNT.....DAU.....AGE 5
MARY HUNT.....LODGER{SISTER}.....AGE 51......UN-MARRIED.....LACE MAKER

1871 census for Isaac Alfred Hunt living at 29 Kentworth Terrace, Radford, Nottinghamshire is thus

WILLIAM HUNT.....HEAD.....AGE 53.....LACE MAKER
RACHELHUNT.....WIFE.....AGE 45
ISAAC HUNT.....SON....AGE 21.....UN-MARRIED.....PRINTER <------------------------
CHARLOTTE HUNT.....DAU.....AGE 15
RACHEL HUNT.....DAU.....AGE 7.....SCHOLAR
GEORGE B HUNT.....SON.....AGE 5
RACHEL HARTFORD.....NIECE....AGE 11.....SCHOLAR

1881 census for Isaac Alfred Hunt living at 3 Trains Yard, Radford, Nottinghamshire is thus

ISAAC HUNT......HEAD......AGE 30......LITHO PRINTER
EMMA HUNT......WIFE......AGE 31
MARY H HUNT......DAU......AGE 4

1881 census for Isaac Alfred Hunt living at 2 Trains Yard, Radford, Nottinghamshire is thus

ISAAC HUNT......HEAD......AGE 40......LITHO PRINTER
EMMA HUNT......WIFE......AGE 41
MARY H HUNT......DAU......AGE 14......LACE JENNIER

....I currently have 83,401 individuals on my tree so most common combinations of names can be found on it.

Regards,

Jay.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Back in my 20s, I knew a Mike Hunt. His father, a biker with the Renegades MC, chose the name, thought it was funny, then rode out of his life when he was a baby. Fortunately, the lad had a great sense of humor about it. He was rather tall and very towheaded; he used to go around saying, "I'm Mike Hunt. I'm big and blond."

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I grew up going to church with the Boner family, a Walter and Joan. They had two children, Harold and Carol, who went by Harry and Carrie, respectively. I always wondered why the older kids snickered at Harry’s name until I was a little older. Then I snickered too.

Reactions: Aomalley27

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I had a boss who's name was Richard Weed, and he overly sensitive about common nicknames.

IT'S PRONOUNCED "Ahs weep A"!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've read a bunch of detective novels where one of the characters was named Harry I. Ball.

Then a couple of years ago, I actually met a man who worked for a client. His name was Harold Issac Ball. He hated it when some called him Harry Ball.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
There used to be a rather prominent lawyer in the DeCatur, Illinois that specialized in land development.
My father employed him once for a farm sale to the Home Depot Corp.
Saul T. Bahls.... (though I do confess, I don’t know if the last name is pronounced ??s, or if it’s pronounced Bails. I only saw the business letterhead, and took my brother’s word for it, that it was pronounced the prior)

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I don't have relatives with odd names but (true story) when I was in the 6th grade, back in the 60s, there were twin brothers in my class. Great football players as I recall. Mike and Jack Hopf. I thought nothing of it until I got to the 9th grade and someone pointed out the Jack Hopf thing when seeing their name on the football roster.

Then there is always the (not a true story) gay couple that lives next door...... Neil and Bob.... not really their names. It's just what they do.

And I almost forgot about the jazz pianist, Dick Hyman. You can look him up. Great jazzman. And I bought a Karman Ghia from a used car salesman back in the 80s...... Rich Crook. And he was proud enough to wear a name tag with that on it.

Also a dear friend of ours, Margaret Skeeter was a school teacher and was always upset because the school kids called her mosquito (Miss Skeeter).
I had forgotten how many people have names that are easy to play with.

Last edited:

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I served with a woman unfortunately named Edith Ott. Cool lady, tough as brass but at the same time pretty chill. I guess it takes growing up with the name Edie Ott to bring that out.

Another fellow serviceman had the last name of O. Yeah. No less than 6 times a day did someone ask him how to pronounce O. (Like it's spelled, Sergeant.)

The creepiest was for 2 weeks in basic, there was another Rook E. Guy III. I don't know who in which department screwed up, but there we were. To keep things simpler, I got to keep my name due to winning an arm wrestling match (best 2 of 3). Which is good because he ended up with Cincinnati, his hometown. "Cincinnati, get up here!" sounds a lot better than "Baltimore, front and center!"

captaincalabash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Texas
A radio talk show years ago asked the same question. One nurse phoned in saying that when she worked in a clinic in the Deep South years earlier a mom came in with an adorable little boy and girl. On asking their names, the proud mom said her boy's name was Typhus and the girl's was Diptheria. The nurse, rather taken aback, asked where she got such interesting names. She said "Oh, I just heard them somewhere and they sounded pretty." I personally met a lady some years back named Eva B. de Wolfe, as well as several interesting name/rank combinations, including Captain Grenade, Captain Savage, Sergeant Major Minor, and Major Missle (Field Artillery branch).

Status
Not open for further replies.