PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
A radio talk show years ago asked the same question. One nurse phoned in saying that when she worked in a clinic in the Deep South years earlier a mom came in with an adorable little boy and girl. On asking their names, the proud mom said her boy's name was Typhus and the girl's was Diptheria. The nurse, rather taken aback, asked where she got such interesting names. She said "Oh, I just heard them somewhere and they sounded pretty." I personally met a lady some years back named Eva B. de Wolfe, as well as several interesting name/rank combinations, including Captain Grenade, Captain Savage, Sergeant Major Minor, and Major Missle (Field Artillery branch).
I hadn't even thought about the names of people I met in the military with funny names.
i even worked for a lieutenant Peter Seaman. I also met a young officer with the last name Ng (pronounced Ing) while he was on a training cruise with us. The more senior officers would make jokes about his name.

• Haha
Reactions: Country Bladesmith

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think some parents in naming their kids don't give enough thought to what they're saddling their kids with. Back in the early 70's had a pot head philosophy prof who named his kid cowboy buckeroo. sheesh. :eek:
when I hear shit like that I always think, have these parents not heard of nicknames? Put down John or Tim on the documents and then call him cowboy.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Here we have a solicitor with a possibly fitting name given his occupation....

Value of estate at death of FREDERICK THOMAS CHAMBERS was £2,601 8s 6d to son Ernest David Chambers (progress clerk) & John Panayoty Ballachey (solicitor).

Regards,

Jay.

• Haha

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
We had a client called Mr. Sithole. I used to refer to him as Mr. Shit Hole and surprisingly he never did pay his bill! I remember a dear friend in the U.K managed to get The Times to publish in their Births section..."Mr and Mrs Rection are delighted to announce the birth of their son Hugh G. Rection".

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
My grandmother hated her name - Ola Belle - and swore to give her children ordinary names. Uncle John got by okay. Johnny Ray was his full name. Kinda cool. And Aunt Judy did alright. Uncle Otis' full name was Merwin Otis - small wonder he went all his life by Sam. And my mother is Tomalta. Seriously. Tomalta. Thank God her mother was so determined to avoid strange names.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
Then there is always the (not a true story) gay couple that lives next door...... Neil and Bob.... not really their names. It's just what they do.
And their neighbors, Patrick Fitzgerald and Gerald Fitzpatrick...

Reactions: DAR
Status
Not open for further replies.