PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

henryp

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
Chicago
With great expectation I filled my Sav 606 with a bowl. I'm new to Va/Pers but even though it smoked cool and dry, I wasn't getting the peppery or plummy perique note. In fact until the final 1/3 bowl it didn't have much flavor.
This is probably due to me being a new smoker. Maybe I'm not a Va/Per guy. I sure like my Nightcap and even some Lane's cavendish when I need an aromatic. I will revisit Haddo's, but I guess I was expecting more.
Anyway, it sure is good to have a forum like this to talk about this stuff.
Thanks
Pat

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Most folks find Haddo's to be a really yummy tobacco. For now, do what Roth says: put it away and come back later.

Maybe you need a little bit of Oriental to make VaPers come to life. Give Pease's Cairo a try.
If you want some VaPer suggestions, here's a link to an older post.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey, Pat (nice name btw!), thanks for your comments. I am looking forward to a first try of Haddo's down the road. A few months back I was having issues with Va and VaPers and VaBurs in general. On seeking advice here, I subsequently changed how I was prepping and loading my bowl. This complete change to my approach to Va and their ilk helped me towards some wonderful bowls. I am now a happy English and Va smoker. Perhaps there's something to how you're prepping the baccy?
Best,
-- Pat

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've got some jarred that's about 6 months old, I've had two or three bowls of it, and was not impressed. That being said, I don't really care for Va's or Va/Pers!

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
No no, perique. There is a very particular way to rid the world of otrosities such as Haddo's. I'm afraid you just don't have the required skills or expertise. Henryp, you need to send all the Haddo's to me. Thanks.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Henryp, give it a bit of a chance. Try another bowl or two and if it still doesn't do it for you, put it away as Roth suggests.
There have been a few tobaccos that underwhelmed me when I first tried them, but grew on me after a bit. Haddo's was one and Black Shag is another. Perhaps my anticipation is too great, or I am expecting something much different and wind up disappointed.
It's a very good blend and worth making a bit of a try.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I usually smoke vapers or straight Virginias and found Haddo very uninteresting a generally a disappointment. I have smoked many of GLP other tobaccos with very good success.

henryp

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
Chicago
Thanks for all the comments and advice. I will definitely revisit Haddo's later on. Right now, as a new piper I'm suffering from TAD, so I have a bunch of new tobaccos to try.
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.