36 Fresh Estate Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

If we take one of our favorites that is underrated and start talking about them, then pretty soon they're not underrated, and they've become hard to find.
Zipper-mouth GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Brigg Regular. 5 bucks for 50g/1.7oz and it's an all around mild and pleasant smoke. I was going to make it my every day smoke until I started to mess with raw leaves.
Add a pouch to your shopping cart next time you order pipe tobacco from a German shop. It won't blow you out of the water but for that price you can't go wrong.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Gl Pease Navigator is a Vabur with a topping of rum. When fresh it can be a bit harsh because of the Kentucky. I buried mine and didn't try it again for a long time but I forget when.

Now I am smoking the original 2012 version and it is really really good, definitely worth the wait. It could be really good at 5 years as I think I may have tested it then, but I cannot be sure. Once that Kentucky smooths out it is a definite winner.

K.E. Powell

Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I keep hearing a lot of people worry that their favorite underrated blend will be bought up and unavailable if they are too cheery in their praise of it. I can understand this mentality for popular blends, legacy blends, etc. But by definition, an underrated blend is one that rates less than its perceived worth and is underappreciated. In other words, it sells average at best and an increase in its popularity would likely increase the likelihood it stays on shelves. For all the lamentations of blends out of stock due to hoarders, there are way more blends out there that are no longer made because they didn't sell. I want my favorites to be popular. I'd rather wait longer to get a favored blend than it not sell and be discontinued outright. Besides, as I've said many times before, a man should share his vices, and my vice is pipe tobacco. Good taste demands I be forthcoming about my proclivities. puffy

That all being said, there a few underrated blends I like to champion.

First is Savinelli's "Jupiter" blend. It's a Va/Bur with some DFK. Very well balanced, smoky, with just a touch of sweetness. It's good stuff.

Second, C&D Warped Series: King's Stride. It's not underrated technically speaking; it reviews very well by and large. But it does get overlooked when compared to some of the other Warped blends or even cigar blends in general. It's too bad, because damn, this is a tasty blend. Nice, bold tobacco taste, with chocolate notes from the burley and cigar cavendish upfront, and a plummy and bold finish by the perique, especially on the retrohale. It's a top 10 for me, easily.

Finally, G.L. Pease has some really underrated and overlooked blends. The man and his blends tend to be very popular, but his flagship blends tend to get most of the spotlight while others are rarely mentioned. Cairo, for instance, is a lovely Oriental with a lot of spicy and floral notes going on. It ages exceptionally well.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I just love Sutliff Blend No. 5, yet I never hear it celebrated on here. It’s only $8 & some change when on sale, probably less if you hit that recent 30% off sale. I’m curious if it’s truly underrated, or if others find it to be middling or weak or that they’re simply indifferent. I agree with K.E. Powell’s logic - go ahead and buy it up, I don’t mind.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There's a level of "star fucking" in the pipe smoking community. Well known names take on an aura that is not supported by reality. You see that in the secondary market, where a famous name gets a high price while a lesser known blend that is really good gets bupkis.

I'd certainly be looking at the Sutliff match blends, which are very well made. Troost match is one of the friendliest blends I've smoked, and might be one of the only ones that I's spend money on at this point.

People, generally people who know nothing about tobaccos, used to love dumping on Sutliff because they thought Sutliff only made goopers. They had no idea that Sutliff blended for other companies many of the blends they would be praising, and supplied leaf to many top blenders.

I want my favorites to be popular. I'd rather wait longer to get a favored blend than it not sell and be discontinued outright.
Look, once you’ve been on here a while, you’ll understand. This forum is not just those of us who post and participate. We have 100 X’s more viewers than members. When someone posts that there was a GH drop, it’s run out in seconds. Just a few years ago, I could find Astleys 109 everywhere. It was never out. Then I started posting it as my favorite. Others joined in its praise. Now go and try to find it.

Blends tend not to disappear just because people don’t buy them. They disappear because the source of leaf runs out or one of many or one of many many nuances in the market.

I mean, post what you want. People do anyways. I learned early on that if I like something buy as much as I can afford, because the good shit goes away. But, keep in mind, that posts don’t just land on member’s eyes, but many many more eyes than just our friends here.

I have about 20 lbs of C&Ds bulk Virginia Flake. Good shit, and hardly ever discussed. Go knock yourself out. Love the stuff.
Also, Habana Daydream, love it. I’m set for decades. Give it a whirl.

I’m not really sure why someone would want their favorites to be popular, but as long as you’re aware that this site is amplified exponentially… say what you want, but just be informed… and stocked up well.

People, generally people who know nothing about tobaccos, used to love dumping on Sutliff because they thought Sutliff only made goopers. They had no idea that Sutliff blended for other companies many of the blends they would be praising, and supplied leaf to many top blenders.
I dump on Sutliff because I don’t like their proprietary casing flavor that I taste in everything they make. I also don’t care for the blends that they make for other companies. Just because someone doesn’t like something doesn’t mean that they are uninformed or stupid.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Same as. When I tried it fresh I thought it was ok but 5 years in the cellar have really improved it. BTW I gave it 9 months in the jar after I opened it. I find that all the blends I've tried have improved with a few months in the jar
I couldn't get that sh@# to burn if my life depended on it. I mylared 250g and threw it in a tub 3 years ago.

K.E. Powell

Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Look, once you’ve been on here a while, you’ll understand. This forum is not just those of us who post and participate. We have 100 X’s more viewers than members. When someone posts that there was a GH drop, it’s run out in seconds. Just a few years ago, I could find Astleys 109 everywhere. It was never out. Then I started posting it as my favorite. Others joined in its praise. Now go and try to find it.
Here you go:

And yes, you make an excellent point about viewers and such. I agree. I think you're probably taking away more than what I am intending, however. I'm not suggesting people who keep mum about their favorite blends are somehow misers or somesuch. Hell, I get it. Stock up. But this thread is supposed to be about tobaccos that aren't super popular to begin with, so...

In any event, if my favorite blend is sold out, I'll live. There are hundreds to try, and I will definitely stock up on my favorite blends, but I'm not going to buy up dozens of tins at a time just in case some obscure blend I like gets bought up and I can't buy anymore. I'm not knocking those who do, but I will just take that opportunity to try something else instead. It's just pipe tobacco, it ain't insulin.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Look, once you’ve been on here a while, you’ll understand. This forum is not just those of us who post and participate. We have 100 X’s more viewers than members.
To demonstrate this. Go to Google and look up any pipe thing and see how many of the first hits you get are for this site. (which I found out by reading something here and then thinking maybe I can look it up and find out more).