PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good question: What is a demanding smoke? And the answer is different for every smoker. I find blends like C&D Bayou Night or Semois medium and thick cut more demanding of attention, in a good way, something to which I devote most of my attention, as the flavor and strength is right up there at the center of my consciousness. Even more so with Indonesian air cured burley Tambolaka and brown rope, for examples. None of these, properly smoked, will knock you over, but you are right there with them, or I am. Whereas undemanding blends -- by my conceit -- give you some room to either give attention or do other things equally at hand. Some people only smoke strong tobacco, so for them, it is undemanding, or just as demanding as they like.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
This thread goes along with the threads on all-day smokes and every day smokes - they all are focused on the same idea. These blends will be uncomplicated, with lower level of nicotine, and a milder flavor - but they still have to be interesting. There are a number of these blends that I enjoy - Amphora Regular and Virginia, Sutliff Virginia Flake, PS Norwegian and Natural Dutch Cavendish, and so on. The vast majority of what I smoke falls into this category.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
over the years I have dicovered quite a few 'undemanding' and interesting blends and most of those are so-called pouched OTC blends
Amphora Full Aroma for example. Good quality , unpretentious and very enjoyable at a very reasonable price. Wish they would sell it by the pound, ideally in one of those colorful retro 1970s tins.