PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tend to lean toward strong tobaccos, if not nicotine bombs. But in recent years I've discovered the pleasures of undemanding blends that are interesting, if not complex, and easygoing instead of thrilling. I find Match My Mixture 965 one example of this, and PC Match Elizabethan another. I have enjoyed a fairly long list. Do you have any smokes that you enjoy for their moderate but companionable characteristics?

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Many of the OTC "Codger" blends are undemanding. As Cosmic said you just pour them in the bowl, light it and not have to worry about finding all the different flavors. I enjoy some blends that finding the flavors is the main purpose of the smoke, but there are times you just want to set back and relax and think about nothing in particular.

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
I tend to lean toward strong tobaccos, if not nicotine bombs. But in recent years I've discovered the pleasures of undemanding blends that are interesting, if not complex, and easygoing instead of thrilling. I find Match My Mixture 965 one example of this, and PC Match Elizabethan another. I have enjoyed a fairly long list. Do you have any smokes that you enjoy for their moderate but companionable characteristics?
For years I've reached for strong heavy Smoky English blends but now my love for Virginia flakes and vapors is starting to take over.

Western Isles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Tennessee
On different ends of the spectrum, GH Balkan Mixture and Broken Scotch Cake. Neither are a favourite, but they are good and always seem ready to go straight from the bulk package or jar.

Reactions: JOHN72 and seanv
Always comes as a bit of a surprise when the pipe is empty.
That's my second favorite kind of blend. My first favorite is when it's bit of a disappointment when the pipe is empty.

For me, a set it and forget it blend is C&D Crooner. Just pour it in, light it and off you go. Always consistent, nice and mild, and I happen to love Deer Tongue so, there's that... puffy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Most of my flakes in tins smoke perfect right out of the tin with no drying time. I prefer a bit of moisture in my flakes as anything too dry smokes hot with no flavors for me.
Here is a partial list:
Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, Vintage Flake, Special Brown Flake
Capstan Blue Flake, Capstan Gold Ready Rubbed
Dunhill Flake, now called Peterson Flake
Astleys no 44
Escudo
Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, Brown Virginia Flake, Gold Virginia Flake, Gold Slice.
John Aylesbury Luxury Flake now called Classic Flake

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
At times when I have perhaps overindulged and cause some tongue burn, dry mouth, or other such problem, I especially enjoy a gentle burley blend or an aromatic the next day while my mouth recovers. Lately, I've been smoking Russ Oulette's Chestnut. The mild sweet topping and hint of latakia make it a nice blend for this time of year.