PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Happens to me all the time. I will also say something that may bring about judgment. I stir it up with my pipe tool and light it over. I am still learning but 60% of the time, this works all the time for me.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Generally, at about halfway through the bowl, the normal tamp and delights become less effective. I figure the layer of ash is too thick and that's why it starts to take longer to get lit and doesn't stay lit as long as the beginning of the bowl. When I notice this, I use the little spade on my pipe tool to stir up the top level of tobacco and ash. Tamp, relight, and off to the races. I think it's the same principle as the guys who mention covering the bowl and shaking.

I am someone who tends to try to smoke every bit of a bowl, but I almost always end up with a little bit of dottle at the end anyway.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This is most likely wrong but halfway through each bowl, I scoop out the top ash until I get to charred tobacco. I then mix it together and retamp, relight...only one relight. At this stage, I do not relight again. When it goes out, I am done. Always a small amount of unburned tobacco at the bottom. Works for me.
I do that too and the great thing is I am still shocked by the tiny shred of leaf left over when I dump it.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
Sometimes I have a few strands of unsmoked tobacco in the bottom of the chamber, sometimes not.
What I NEVER do is make a point of trying to burn every last strand. Superheating the bottom of the chamber is some misguided belief that every strand must be consumed is a great way to damage your pipes.

Also can make you look like a crack head desperate to get a fix if done in public.

• Haha
Reactions: PipeDad33
Status
Not open for further replies.