PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2020
Hi all,
Just started smoking pipe, and I know and read that it's normal to go off during smoking. But my question here that after relighting it several times and continue smoking, it starts to go off directly after I relight it which I thought means that no more unburned tobacco, but when I am clearing the pipe surprise by some in the bottom unburned! Is the normal!?

Reactions: bnichols23

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
This happens to me when I don’t dry my tobacco out enough, or if the air hole is slightly higher set in the bowl. Packing also makes a difference. Honestly I am lucky to burn a bowl to ash maybe every 5 smokes, so I say fairly normal.

If you let that last bit dry for a day may be a good smoke for the next day!

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Hi all,
Just started smoking pipe, and I know and read that it's normal to go off during smoking. But my question here that after relighting it several times and continue smoking, it starts to go off directly after I relight it which I thought means that no more unburned tobacco, but when I am clearing the pipe surprise by some in the bottom unburned! Is the normal!?
One of two things happening most likely: (1) you aren't tamping the ash enough so the fire isn't really getting to the main clump of tobacco at the bottom of the hole, or (2) in your first smoke, you are burning some in the middle of the bowl leaving an air pocket there so when you relight it goes out quickly. Probably the former if you ask me.

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
Very normal. What I do , will bring the fury of the whole forum upon me is place my thumb over chamber with my thumb, give it a good shake, and then relight. But I’m not a proper smoker. So you can just dump the dottle..... or not

I've never heard the term "go off" in place of "go out." This must be a regional thing. What part of the world are you in?

It has sometimes happened to me, when smoking tobacco that still has moisture. As you smoke, the biproduct of combustion is more water, so if you tobacco is still moist, it will be sopping wet at the bottom.

But, there are lots of factors left out of this equation we are trying to figure out. How wide and deep is the chamber and what type of tobacco are we talking about. If we are talking a dry C&D English, then there's something else going on. If we are talking a goopy aromatic, then my best advice is to just roll with it.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
After smoking the main charge of tobacco:
Yes....just dump the unburned residual tobacco- that we pipe-smokers call "dottle"- and be done with it. Fret not, anymore about dumping unburned, rank, nasty, tobacco that's left in the heel of your pipe.

You can do more harm to your pipe by trying to relight that residue with a flame....which can cause heat cracks, and a burned out heel in some cases.

It is NOT necessary to smoke right down to the bottom of the bowl.

Happy piping and Merry Christmas

Also, how much tobacco left at the bottom are we talking? If it is just a pinch, then dump it, unless it is a Virginia. Again, what type of tobacco matters. If it is an aromatic or even some Englishes or burleys, dump it, because the last little bit is probably going to taste sour.

The term for that left over bit is "dottle" and when we name something, it's most likely normal. I only ever push Virginias or VaPers to the bottom, because most blends just taste terrible at the end. They just get dumped. And, that cigar butt shaped bit is the dottle.

Dec 15, 2020
I've never heard the term "go off" in place of "go out." This must be a regional thing. What part of the world are you in?

It has sometimes happened to me, when smoking tobacco that still has moisture. As you smoke, the biproduct of combustion is more water, so if you tobacco is still moist, it will be sopping wet at the bottom.

But, there are lots of factors left out of this equation we are trying to figure out. How wide and deep is the chamber and what type of tobacco are we talking about. If we are talking a dry C&D English, then there's something else going on. If we are talking a goopy aromatic, then my best advice is to just roll with it.
Thanks for your advice, and sorry for my English as it's not my mother language ?

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just out of curiosity... How does smoking to the bottom hurt your pipes?
Excess heat will result in charring and crackling on the chamber walls and/or heat caused fissures, often in the lower half and bottom of the chamber. Briar may be tough, but it's still a wood. Abuse it and it will eventually fail like any other wood.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Just out of curiosity... How does smoking to the bottom hurt your pipes?
if you insist on smoking every single shred no matter how damp you'll quite possible burn the bottom of the pipe with what ever fire source you are using. Basically the same thing that would happen if you kept sucking flame into the chamber of an empty pipe. If you can still get it with basic lighting technique and effort or it just keeps going, then it's all good and your pipe should be fine (unless it's a garbage pipe and was gonna eat it some day any ways.)

Status
Not open for further replies.