PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylonrow

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2011
Great Britain
I have only recently started smoking a pipe in the last month or so, I exclusively smoke aromatics (for the time being) and I go out with some friends walk around the park and have a couple of bowls at the weekend.
I have a couple of no-name pipes and a peterson, all of which are briar. Recently I smoked Holland House and although it was a good smoke I couldn't taste any of the 'nuts and fruit' that had been described on tobaccoreviews.
I recently bought 3 new tobaccos; Mac Baren Vanilla Cream, McLintock Black Cherry and Petersons connoisseurs choice.
I smoked about 3 bowls of each over the past couple of days and I cannot taste any of the flavour in any of the tobaccos, I bought them because they were described on tobaccoreviews.com as 'very strong' and so I thought I would at least get some flavour.
I'm not a 'puff demon' I take 10-30 second breaks between slow and long puffs, and I have tried all of my pipes but I am unable to taste even the slightest hint of Cherry/Vanilla.
Is it the tobacco? my technique? my pipes?

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
Keep trying. It took me a while to start finding flavors in pipe tobacco. Try looking up some straight VA's and maybe a few English blends or two, cause Aros aren't known for their taste but more of their smell.
In fact, that puff cadence sounds more condusive to VA's anyways, as thats a good way to let them smolder.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I have found that when smoking outdoors, I need to either French inhale, or exhale through my nose to bring the full flavour profile to the surface (most likely, as Abecox noted, because aro's are often more noted for odour than flavour). Also, I find utilizing the venturi effect (reduce the amount of air allowed into the pipe by covering the bowl with your fingers) can help to "thicken" the smoke somewhat, bringing out the flavours.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Don't feel bad,...I have a tough time picking out many of the scents that others find easily.
:) I'm doing good to pick out the main scent,.....much less all the other little whisps and hints of flavors that some claim are there.
To me, pipe tobacco is much like wine,.....after wasting many hours of my life reading reviews and trying to find what the reviewers have said they detect, I just sit back and make only one decision,....do I like this or not.

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Try not to worry about getting all the flavours at once, it will come, also try smoking from a sheltered bench in the park, hold the smoke in your mouth and exhale from your nose. Give yourself some time to enjoy your pipe, you may find you begin to pick up the depth of flavour over time

scott306

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2011
Don't feel bad.I'm a newbie as well and half the time I can't taste a damn thing either.

Happy smoking! :puffy:

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I actually just posted this same question not too long ago in this very forum. Since then I got many more non-aeros and started going more for taste ratings in websites and not the aroma/flavor described.
And as others have posted much like, wine, beer, coffee,.....it comes with time and experience. Initially I had to make the wife happy with the smell, now I am making me happy with full flavored tobacco.

groundsar

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2010
@ Tommy-I just sit back and make only one decision,....do I like this or not.
Excellant thought Tommy!!

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
I too have recently taken up pipe smoking and also have trouble tasting some of the flavours. But I've found the more I smoke the more I can taste. I've found I can taste more by taking small sips rather than long draws. That could just be me though.
I guess it's like drinking whisky, the first time just tastes like your mouth and throat are burning but keep going and the subtle flavours come through in the end :)

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Yeah!!!! Finally a question I might be the right person to answer!
With aros, to really get the flavor one has to be in an inclosed space and smoke slow! I agree with what most said, the smell is actually stronger than the taste and with time you will begin to taste the subtle flavorings and the actual taste of the tobacco. What I don't agree with is Aros being like wine. An english is what I would equate to a fine wine, you get a strong flavor right away and you have to learn to pick up on the subtle flavors. With an Aro, I am not certain what to equate it to, its almost like you get no flavor upfront and there are only very subtle flavors that you can pick up on.
These are just my observations, take them or leave them! :)

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
After you smoke a few blends you will start to pick out subtle nuances. If one limits oneself to one blend , in my opinion it is a injustice to the smoker . To me a ARO should enhance the flaver not cover it up . While a mixture should enhance one of the ingredients and not overwhelm any one of them . Dang now Iam confusing myself .

Jan 6, 2011
This used to happen to me when I started smoking aromatics. What are you drinking when you smoke? Sometimes I think this can make a difference. I used to find that sweet drinks, like a coke, would drown out the flavor. Try smoking with a cup of coffee in the morning and see what you taste. Or maybe try an "English" or non aro blend and then go back to the flavored tobacco. I smoke mostly non-aros now, and can drink whatever I want, but I like to always have something to drink with the pipe.
Mike

Apr 29, 2017
He was talking about being "unable" to taste and he got all the kind of answer not related with the question.
The answer is: You have saturated your tongue, there's really no much to do other than wait some days. You can smoke rolling cigarets in the meantime, don't worry it happens with food too. Try to each cheese cake five times a day, you'll not feel it anymore...

The blends you've described are quite like different, you should be able to taste them no matter what, at least a bit. That confirms your tongue saturation.
I discovered that when I was in a hurry week, I had to finish a paper and I smoked all the time. I did everything right. I used my pipe rotation, cleaned pipes etc. Only thing that helps is time, you need to reset your tongue ability to taste tobacco.

I hope it helps, I know it's an onld post but it happens with everybody and certainly someone will beneficiated with this info.

Kind regards ;)

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Smoke in your car with all the windows up. And wave to the cops as you pass them. ;)

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
It's ALIVE!!!!
Jesus the original poster has been gone for 5 years so I don't think he'll be reading this.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Fitzy- The o.p. was not Jesus! But he did indeed leave the building half a decade ago. :)
Seems we are living in the times of zombie threads, not all bad!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here's a sad truth. Palates vary, Some people can taste a wide variety of flavors while others can't and never will.
There are some things one can do to maximize the flavors that a blend delivers and chiefest of these is getting the correct moisture content, which is generally drier than you think. Slow sipping of the smoke, and very slow retrohaling both contribute to a flavorful smoke. Having a slice of apple or some water or iced tea to cleanse one's palate between smokes helps as well.
But with some people, nothing will offer help because they simply have limited palates. If you're enjoying what you smoke, what else matters?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
JP I'm always curious if the guy who resurrects posts like this realizes that the OP won't be reading his reply? he he
Sable I believe I'm in that boat.

Apr 29, 2017
Doesn't really matter who will read this. I think that in the end, it's information when people resurrect the thread is because somebody did have a problem and is looking for a solution, isn't it? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.