PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Maybe the original poster will come back. Hopefully he/she is off somewhere having a rich bowl of something tasty.
Smell is a huge part of taste, so smoking outdoors often leads to less smelling of the burning leaf. Many of us also get minimal flavor from some aromatics; they sort of taste like sugary, acidic tobacco, but they smell great.

Mar 1, 2014
1. Sometimes you can't taste the flavor.

2. Sometimes the blend has lost its flavor.
Haddo's Delight is a well regarded Aromatic, but the tin I got was dry and flavorless. Sometimes it's the same with bulk samples of various blends, some batches may have been sitting for a long time and lost the most of the flavoring.

Gawith Hoggarth Ennerdale from a fresh tin is completely different than any of the Bulk samples I had (in Bulk it seems to lose a lot of the topping).

On the other hand, when I was starting I couldn't taste much of anything from any blend, even the renowned 1-Q tasted like just "hot air" on my first bow (I'm betting some fresh Ennerdale would have been an exception had I tried it sooner though).
I also had to try four different samples of McClelland's famous red Virginia before I got one with any tang. Tobacco can be a finicky thing.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The flavor I find most common to enjoyable blends is actually a 'quality' of the flavor called umami, I think.

Also, there is a delicate balance within one's mouth and pipe. You want to keep it lit and be able to draw, or preferably, sip, its contents, but you don't want to generate too much heat, which impedes your ability to taste.

Cigar makers use the word sabroso to describe the perfect balance of saltiness, bitterness, sourness, and sweetness in tobacco: that synergistic balance creates a sensation that transcends the potential of each individual taste, and creates something more extraordinary and complete: that is umami.

Status
Not open for further replies.