PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This pipe seems quite different to many of Grant Batson’s pipes. It would appear it was carved four years into his pipemaking career after leaving making guitars. I would be curious what the back story on this wacky Reverse Calabash is.
That's one big chunk of ivory.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

Cloozoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 1, 2023
This pipe seems quite different to many of Grant Batson’s pipes. It would appear it was carved four years into his pipemaking career after leaving making guitars...
His final guitar,which no doubt precipitated his move to pipe making*
IMG_5667.jpeg

*Not really (I've learned such disclaimers are desirable on this board as an aid to the humor impaired)

H

HRPufnstuf

Scott and Abe: yeah, those are certainly fugly, but they're (relatively) cheap, they're deliberately made as novelty items, and they lack that certain je ne sais quoi that elevates the one I posted to the very summit of fugliness; the apotheosis of hideous; a true anti-achievement...awful pipe entelechy.
Yeah, "fugly" about covers it. In some ways like a train wreck, you know it's wrong but you can't help looking at it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Lots of pipes are not my cup of joe but I don't disdain them or those to whom they appeal.

But notwithstanding à chacun son goût, I found myself wondering about the appeal of this one:

View attachment 253015

Not a cheap pipe, either; I can almost hear the SP description: "Whimsical yet elegant, the flowing lines of the robust base segué seemlessly into the elegant trumpet-like bowl whose forward cant provides the entire composition with an irresistible forward propulsion..."

'Splain it to me, Lucy
This is a very, very rare pipe, pseudonymously carved by Butt Ugly.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I actually thought about going after it just for the oddity until I found out who made it.

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I liked it and bid on it , it would fit in well with my “misfit” pipe collection. . Stem work was amazing , could of joined my best stem work pipe collection too

Cloozoe

Sep 1, 2023
I liked it and bid on it ...

Well, sorry you didn't get it and collecting is collecting. Curious: you wouldn't actually put tobacco in it, light up and hang it from your jaw while riding fence on the south forty, would you?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I do not want to smoke that pipe, I will not smoke it in the night, I will not smoke it the rain, for that pipe I have great disdain.

I would not smoke it in my house, I would not smoke it with a grouse.

I cannot smoke it with any joy, I shall not use it as a toy.

I will not put it my hand, I will not smoke it with the band.

I do not like that pipe I say, and I will not like it any day.

Was that one of your Dr. Seuss renditions? 🤔

DC23219E-11F7-4AF1-99F3-C9D6C0A8CD21.png

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG