PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
As a jeweler... read the instructions on any ultrasonic cleaner. You can only put a few stones in one. Diamonds, garnets, and rubies... if you know with 100% certainty that they are real. You put turquoise in one, and you get turquoise dust, or mud. The softer the stone, the more it will just get pulverized into mud.

But, sure.... give it a try. puffy
That's exactly what I was looking for - THNX!

Now, that's something I want to watch on a YouTube video. An old meer disappearing in an ultrasonic cleaning bath.
If I wasn't absolutely certain that it would tear up my $1200 ultrasonic, I would say send me one to video... if I knew how to post a video also, Ha ha.

It would probably be more entertaining to watch one get blasted away with the high pressure steam. I imagine it would melt away like the witch in the Wizard of Oz.

My suggestion would be to get some really good wax carving tools. Not the cheapy ones on Amazon, but the really good ones that can be kept sharp with an oil stone. Then just meticulously scrape the spaces out... but really no matter what you do, the time it will take.... it looks pretty cool still... is it worth it?

That was me. That was a pipe I didn't care about. Since this pipe is a lattice and the lattice, I am worried about the ultrasonic vibrations causing damage to a 100 year old pipe.
Before Cosmic’s post I did not know about Ultrasonic cleaners and what are your trying to do.

Meerschaum is 2 in Moh’s scale. It is highly likely the Meerschaum will get damaged regardless of your solvent. However I could not find any authoritative material on “softness” impact on ultrasonic cleaning.

Meerschaum is porous- There are warnings not to use ultrasonic cleaning on porous materials. You are bombarding the material with high frequency energy packets. Cracks are highly likely to occur.

I gave my original suggestion as a half-joke but it is valid. Clean with water and a Q-Tip

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
Ive used q tips and distilled water to clean a meer. However, none that was clogged with dirt.

jhowell

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Before Cosmic’s post I did not know about Ultrasonic cleaners and what are your trying to do.

Meerschaum is 2 in Moh’s scale. It is highly likely the Meerschaum will get damaged regardless of your solvent. However I could not find any authoritative material on “softness” impact on ultrasonic cleaning.

Meerschaum is porous- There are warnings not to use ultrasonic cleaning on porous materials. You are bombarding the material with high frequency energy packets. Cracks are highly likely to occur.

I gave my original suggestion as a half-joke but it is valid. Clean with water and a Q-Tip
Already tried - what you see is the result... There is still what looks like mud on the "interior" bowl...

jhowell

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
If I wasn't absolutely certain that it would tear up my $1200 ultrasonic, I would say send me one to video... if I knew how to post a video also, Ha ha.

It would probably be more entertaining to watch one get blasted away with the high pressure steam. I imagine it would melt away like the witch in the Wizard of Oz.

My suggestion would be to get some really good wax carving tools. Not the cheapy ones on Amazon, but the really good ones that can be kept sharp with an oil stone. Then just meticulously scrape the spaces out... but really no matter what you do, the time it will take.... it looks pretty cool still... is it worth it?
No. I have decided to err on the side of caution and leave it alone. I have a good set of wax carving tools, but neither the time or patience to spend on the pipe - I will just let it wear it's age with dignity (something I wish I could do...)

jhowell

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona

I've already done the q-tip with hot distilled water - it just doesn't get around and under the lattice...

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Those proxabrushes are handy tools. They come in several sizes as well. Target has its own brand, which are cheaper than GUM brand. And dollar stores also carry them, which are cheaper yet. But then again, you could use pipe cleaners slightly dampened with ISO just as well.