PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Title says it all. I have a couple of lattice meers that need deep cleaning down inside the lattice openings. I kinda leery about putting them in the tank. What do you guys think?

Reactions: Briar Lee

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
Toothbrush, painters (art) detail brush, toothpicks. Any will work if its tobacco bits from scooping or the ones that just find their way down. If its coloring from use. Leave it be.

jhowell

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Also: meers aren't meant to stay white. They color from honey to deep amber brown as the tars and oils given off by burning tobacco migrate through the material.

Without pictures I can't say, but there's a fair chance that what you're seeing in the lattice isn't "dirt".
Definitely dirt... It was filthy when I got it...
1675779148597.jpeg

jhowell

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
My memory has been a little hazy, but I thought you were the one who dipped your meerschaum in water for an extended period of time about 3 years back?

It will still work
That was me. That was a pipe I didn't care about. Since this pipe is a lattice and the lattice, I am worried about the ultrasonic vibrations causing damage to a 100 year old pipe.

jhowell

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Water softens meerschaum. Soaking the mineral in a crock pot is how the carvers prepare the blocks for their work. So, I would not recommend it.
I am well aware of that, having wiped the lattice right off the finest lattice pipe I ever owned trying to hasten the drying with a towel - now I let them air-dry...

As a jeweler... read the instructions on any ultrasonic cleaner. You can only put a few stones in one. Diamonds, garnets, and rubies... if you know with 100% certainty that they are real. You put turquoise in one, and you get turquoise dust, or mud. The softer the stone, the more it will just get pulverized into mud.

But, sure.... give it a try. puffy

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I looked up what liquids are used for ultrasonic cleaning. There’s a bunch.

Most all meerschaums I’ve seen or heard of were boiled in wax.

I’d try a toothbrush and Q tips first.

Otherwise it might be one of them there dee-sasters.:)