Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
A few years back I sent tins to Canada (from the US) that I sold on eBay. They always had me mark them as “gift” and declare a low value of about $5-10 on the customs forms so they didn’t get whacked with whatever taxes. It was always small amounts, just a few tins so I don’t think it really attracted much attention. Would the same rules apply to the UK if you had some tins sent from the US?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m having trouble getting American brands here in Britain.

There are a lot of Tobacco Shops in the UK. ;)

Google, they tell me is your friend... LOL ?

I have personally seen a lot of Shops in the UK, and a I did a quick search, and counted around 40 shops, and that wasn’t all of them either.

Click below on the Link, it will do the search for you I setup. ?

P.S. Once you see the search results, then scroll down and click on ‘More places’. ?

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeah, it sure can be a bit eye watering when you get the Customs bill?.
I'm pretty much done with buying from America anyway as my cellar is big enough now for my needs (famous last words?).
The last 4 years I bought mainly from America and especially Germany as I wasn't sure if tobacconists in Europe would be able to ship here to England after BREXIT. I bought quite a bit from German shops like Peter Heinrich's & Gerd Jansen's who have loads of incredible blends you can't get here in the UK.

I want to concentrate on cellaring British blends now as I've neglected that a bit as I thought the Gawith Lakelands would always be available, but after seeing some of the flavour bans in some US states it got me thinking that, that's just the sort of nanny state nonsense we might get over here in England.
The Gawith tobaccos are easily some of my favourites so I need to gradually start stocking up on them just in case, I haven't got anywhere near the amount of Germain's I want either.
wasn't English pipe tobacco made that way because they banned flavors a long time ago.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
In order to avoid hassle and headache I have decided to be satisfied with blends available in continental EU, as far as of G&H offerings go I'm happy to notice majority of those can be purchased in Spain and Russian Federation
although this may become subject to changes now when UK is leaving EU
In Spain at the moment,you have the best cigars habano.all of Mac Baren,Samuel Gawith,Gawith Hoggarth,Ashton,Rattray's,Amphora,Capstan,Peterson.And many more tobaccoes Danish and English brand......A can of 50 grams 9.30-10 euros..........In the 90s Spain wasthe paradise of tobacco..............

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
I’m having trouble getting American brands here in Britain. I was recently sent some GL Pease Gaslight and Regents Flake from a member and have to ration them, especially the Gaslight, as I don’t know when I’ll be able to get more. If any Brits out there know where I can find it over here I’d love to know. C&D blends too, especially Espresso, chocolate and Days of Yore. I found an online source but I’d have to spend at least £350 ($500ish). I have asked my supplier over here (C-Gars) if they can find it but no luck so far. They are a great company though, I’m very happy and feel a certain loyalty towards them. I may just have to save for a little while and go with the opposition on this one.
I'm the same with your loyalty and c-gars. However, Pipe Tobacco | Shop Pipe Tobacco at GQ Tobaccos - https://www.gqtobaccos.com/pipe-tobacco/ sometimes comes up trumps and
https://www.tobaccoonline.co.uk/ do very well. Pretty much get anything ?

Reactions: BROBS

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
There are a lot of Tobacco Shops in the UK. ;)

Google, they tell me is your friend... LOL ?

I have personally seen a lot of Shops in the UK, and a I did a quick search, and counted around 40 shops, and that wasn’t all of them either.

Click below on the Link, it will do the search for you I setup. ?

P.S. Once you see the search results, then scroll down and click on ‘More places’. ?
there may be several tobacconists but only one has ever stocked any American (pease) blends but they dont show them any more,that was Gauntly of nottingham.i think the only place and its not strictly in EU is in switzerland
Synjeco's Pipe Smoker's Haven - https://www.synjeco.ch/pataall/info/home.php?i1

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I could never get to the bottom of the 'purity laws' so I don't really know.
This is from a post I made on to topic of the purity laws about 2 years ago:

Do a Google search of your own and you'll find better than that article. The basic purpose of the Purity Laws was to require that tobacco blends were made from tobacco. Prior to the establishment of these laws, blenders were throwing all kinds of stuff into their blends as filler, wood shavings, straw, corn silk, asbestos, talcum, etc in order to increase profit. It's not like the enterprising blender couldn't still find ways to provide a kick even when the laws were in place. Early samples of WarHorse contained belladonna, which is a poison that will kill you in sufficient amounts. In WarHorse it just killed off enough brain cells to give the smoker a nice buzz.
Here in the States we have no such stringent requirements. So you can drive to your local Taco Bell and order a beef taco that's only 27% beef and the rest grain filler. It's technically a "beef product", not actually beef. But there's enough actual purported "beef" in it that Taco Bell can legally call it a beef taco.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Dec 16, 2018
I’m having trouble getting American brands here in Britain. I was recently sent some GL Pease Gaslight and Regents Flake from a member and have to ration them, especially the Gaslight, as I don’t know when I’ll be able to get more. If any Brits out there know where I can find it over here I’d love to know. C&D blends too, especially Espresso, chocolate and Days of Yore. I found an online source but I’d have to spend at least £350 ($500ish). I have asked my supplier over here (C-Gars) if they can find it but no luck so far. They are a great company though, I’m very happy and feel a certain loyalty towards them. I may just have to save for a little while and go with the opposition on this one.
www.cupojoes.com are the best, Kathleen Kelly & staff are some of the nicest people around.
PM me for any questions, I've been using them for about 9 years now with no issues delivered to UK.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
ordered from smoking pipes for a couple of years to the UK....never got stung for duty until 2 $100 drops ended up costing me about £450!!!!!

I know how to do it now though....PM me....

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72
Status
Not open for further replies.