PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I’m having trouble getting American brands here in Britain. I was recently sent some GL Pease Gaslight and Regents Flake from a member and have to ration them, especially the Gaslight, as I don’t know when I’ll be able to get more. If any Brits out there know where I can find it over here I’d love to know. C&D blends too, especially Espresso, chocolate and Days of Yore. I found an online source but I’d have to spend at least £350 ($500ish). I have asked my supplier over here (C-Gars) if they can find it but no luck so far. They are a great company though, I’m very happy and feel a certain loyalty towards them. I may just have to save for a little while and go with the opposition on this one.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I’m having trouble getting American brands here in Britain. I was recently sent some GL Pease Gaslight and Regents Flake from a member and have to ration them, especially the Gaslight, as I don’t know when I’ll be able to get more. If any Brits out there know where I can find it over here I’d love to know. C&D blends too, especially Espresso, chocolate and Days of Yore. I found an online source but I’d have to spend at least £350 ($500ish). I have asked my supplier over here (C-Gars) if they can find it but no luck so far. They are a great company though, I’m very happy and feel a certain loyalty towards them. I may just have to save for a little while and go with the opposition on this one.

You won't find any American brands over here I'm afraid, I've ordered them directly from American retailers quite a few times without incident but be aware that HM Customs & Excise will hit you with a hefty bill. The amount they add on varies depending on how much weight the tobacco is and how much it cost to buy, they even tax the postage cost.
The cost per 50g tin worked out about £20 - £25 each so not cheap. I've no idea how much they tax you if it's another person sending you tobacco as I've only bought from American shops.
Hope this helps.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
You won't find any American brands over here I'm afraid, I've ordered them directly from American retailers quite a few times without incident but be aware that HM Customs & Excise will hit you with a hefty bill. The amount they add on varies depending on how much weight the tobacco is and how much it cost to buy, they even tax the postage cost.
The cost per 50g tin worked out about £20 - £25 each so not cheap. I've no idea how much they tax you if it's another person sending you tobacco as I've only bought from American shops.
Hope this helps.
Very helpful, thanks. I just emailed tobacco pipes in the states asking if they have any idea of the cost. I might just bite the bullet and go to tobaccoonline, I’ll have to order a kilo but you can order different blends.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I’m waiting to hear back from Synjeco, Tobacco Pipes ship here and their tobacco is half the price it is here. It’s British Customs that take you for a ride, I have to enquire what they’ll take me for. I think I’m going to go with tobaccoonline and put in a order for 1.1 kilo, the minimum you can order but they stock brands other tobacconists here don’t, (C&D, Pease, etc).

Reactions: BROBS
Jun 9, 2018
England
I’m waiting to hear back from Synjeco, Tobacco Pipes ship here and their tobacco is half the price it is here. It’s British Customs that take you for a ride, I have to enquire what they’ll take me for. I think I’m going to go with tobaccoonline and put in a order for 1.1 kilo, the minimum you can order but they stock brands other tobacconists here don’t, (C&D, Pease, etc).
IIRC if your order for tobacco products goes over £135 Customs hit you with an even higher tax amount.
I always keep any US order to under £100 just to be sure, the taxes are still exorbitant though.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Isn’t the customs tax like 130gbp per kg?

if you’re already paying 15-20gbp for 50g in the uk, ordering 16oz of glp (roughly 60gbp plus 20for shipping) kinda works out the same doesn’t it?
It is but there are other tariffs added on, I forget if it was VAT or something else but believe me it works out to about £20 - £25 a 50g tin.
I've done about 15 orders from America and that's been my experience. I normally order from smokingpipes.com and have had great service from them.

Reactions: Birddog66 and BROBS

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
It is but there are other tariffs added on, I forget if it was VAT or something else but believe me it works out to about £20 - £25 a 50g tin.
I've done about 15 orders from America and that's been my experience. I normally order from smokingpipes.com and have had great service from them.
O yep. Yeah same here. We have tax on weight, gst (15% of total cost - shipping included) and import levy.

Jun 9, 2018
England
O yep. Yeah same here. We have tax on weight, gst (15% of total cost - shipping included) and import levy.
Yeah, it sure can be a bit eye watering when you get the Customs bill?.
I'm pretty much done with buying from America anyway as my cellar is big enough now for my needs (famous last words?).
The last 4 years I bought mainly from America and especially Germany as I wasn't sure if tobacconists in Europe would be able to ship here to England after BREXIT. I bought quite a bit from German shops like Peter Heinrich's & Gerd Jansen's who have loads of incredible blends you can't get here in the UK.

I want to concentrate on cellaring British blends now as I've neglected that a bit as I thought the Gawith Lakelands would always be available, but after seeing some of the flavour bans in some US states it got me thinking that, that's just the sort of nanny state nonsense we might get over here in England.
The Gawith tobaccos are easily some of my favourites so I need to gradually start stocking up on them just in case, I haven't got anywhere near the amount of Germain's I want either.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Buy British as I'm trying to do
While we do have a core of amazing blends here in the UK we don't have anywhere near the choice that Germany and especially America do. I like having a big variety to chose from so I bought what I could from those countries while it's still possible.
My cellar is pretty big (for my fairly modest needs anyway) the trouble is it's wide but not very deep, except for a few blends. I definitely want to go much deeper on the Gawith and Germain's tobaccos over the next couple of years.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
While we do have a core of amazing blends here in the UK we don't have anywhere near the choice that Germany and especially America do. I like having a big variety to chose from so I bought what I could from those countries while it's still possible.
My cellar is pretty big (for my fairly modest needs anyway) the trouble is it's wide but not very deep, except for a few blends. I definitely want to go much deeper on the Gawith and Germain's tobaccos over the next couple of years.
Stuff variety. Gimme gawith...grass is always greener I guess

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Chris, when it comes to tobaccies I have come to conclusion ,in order to save my nerves and funds I have decided to remain modest & proletariat with my needs,sadly we the people who reside up here in Scandinavia do have even less possibilities and choices to choose from ,so proverb *anything goes is worthwhile keeping in mind ,also Govs in all Scandinavian countries love implying taxes on everything they could only imagine,perhaps I shall start considering to relocate my domicile to Spain or Gibraltar,,,

Jun 9, 2018
England
Chris, when it comes to tobaccies I have come to conclusion ,in order to save my nerves and funds I have decided to remain modest & proletariat with my needs,sadly we the people who reside up here in Scandinavia do have even less possibilities and choices to choose from ,so proverb *anything goes is worthwhile keeping in mind ,also Govs in all Scandinavian countries love implying taxes on everything they could only imagine,perhaps I shall start considering to relocate my domicile to Spain or Gibraltar,,,
It could be worse, at least you don't live in Australia with their insane prices???.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
IIRC if your order for tobacco products goes over £135 Customs hit you with an even higher tax amount.
I always keep any US order to under £100 just to be sure, the taxes are still exorbitant though.
I order 90% of the tobacco in smokingpipes..........I make staggered orders,not more than 250 grams...........There is no sale in Spain Gl Pease and Cornell&Diehl............

Status
Not open for further replies.