PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
While we do have a core of amazing blends here in the UK we don't have anywhere near the choice that Germany and especially America do. I like having a big variety to chose from so I bought what I could from those countries while it's still possible.
My cellar is pretty big (for my fairly modest needs anyway) the trouble is it's wide but not very deep, except for a few blends. I definitely want to go much deeper on the Gawith and Germain's tobaccos over the next couple of years.
Exactly, America has everything we have and a hell of a lot more. C&D alone has 80+ blends. Dunhill doesn’t even sell their tobacco here anymore and they’re a British Co. It really boggles the mind. I can’t think of anywhere that has higher taxes on baccy than the UK, it pretty much funds the NHS. Personally I’d rather die in the gutter smoking cheaper tobacco. ??

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
I’ve put in my second order from the US to here in UK.
I wasn’t done over by HM Customs and Excise the last time. Here’s hoping this one gets through ok as I wouldn’t want to pay duties/fines ☹️ Are there any loopholes or recommended retailers who send from US to UK ? It’s mad that I have to send to the states for Orlik baccy as I can’t get it here or Europe(well they won’t send it to UK)
Thanks
Ettrick puffer

Reactions: JOHN72
Jun 9, 2018
England
I’ve put in my second order from the US to here in UK.
I wasn’t done over by HM Customs and Excise the last time. Here’s hoping this one gets through ok as I wouldn’t want to pay duties/fines ☹️ Are there any loopholes or recommended retailers who send from US to UK ? It’s mad that I have to send to the states for Orlik baccy as I can’t get it here or Europe(well they won’t send it to UK)
Thanks
Ettrick puffer
Germany certainly used to ship to the UK as I've done lots of orders from there over the last 4 years, the most recent being just before Christmas. Whether BREXIT changes that I don't know.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Exactly, America has everything we have and a hell of a lot more. C&D alone has 80+ blends. Dunhill doesn’t even sell their tobacco here anymore and they’re a British Co. It really boggles the mind. I can’t think of anywhere that has higher taxes on baccy than the UK, it pretty much funds the NHS. Personally I’d rather die in the gutter smoking cheaper tobacco. ??
Dunhill doesn't sell pipe tobacco anywhere, anymore as they got out the business and sold the recipes to STG who now flog them under the Peterson banner.

As for the UK having the highest taxes I have 3 words: Canada and Australia. Check out the prices (and lousy choice) those poor buggers have to pay, I guarantee you'll realise things could be a lot worse here in the UK.

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
Dunhill doesn't sell pipe tobacco anywhere, anymore as they got out the business and sold the recipes to STG who now flog them under the Peterson banner.

As for the UK having the highest taxes I have 3 words: Canada and Australia. Check out the prices (and lousy choice) those poor buggers have to pay, I guarantee you'll realise things could be a lot worse here in the UK.
Totally agree it could be a lot worse here in Blighty?? At least we can get Samuel Gawith and Gawith & Hogarth. I’d just got a text from a mate who had ordered a load of Squadron Leader at a bargain price to have to pay £57 in duty. Sadly this worked out at £19 for a 50 gram tin☹️. Fingers crossed my order makes it through.
Happy puffing
Ettrick puffer

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
Totally agree it could be a lot worse here in Blighty?? At least we can get Samuel Gawith and Gawith & Hogarth. I’d just got a text from a mate who had ordered a load of Squadron Leader at a bargain price to have to pay £57 in duty. Sadly this worked out at £19 for a 50 gram tin☹️. Fingers crossed my order makes it through.
Happy puffing
Ettrick puffer
I'm lucky that I love the offerings from Samuel Gawith and especially Gawith Hoggarth. Their Virginia & VaBur tobaccos are easily some of my favourites. From the flavoured twists to Westmorland Slices and the Lakelands I can't do without their unique tobaccos. Germain's do a couple of my favourites as well, Brown Flake is definitely in my top 5.

Reactions: Ettrick puffer
Status
Not open for further replies.