PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Solar&Briar

Lurker
Apr 27, 2024
I've been looking for Peterson 31s and recently won a UK auction for two of them (picture included). They went through eBay's Global Shipping Program (GSP) and the tracking showed up with a delivery exception at the UK hub and were marked "undeliverable". I found this previous post here Another UK Pipe Stolen by Pitney Bowes :: Pipe Talk - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/another-uk-pipe-stolen-by-pitney-bowes.91515/ so I knew what to expect. My "help" chat with eBay confirmed my order couldn't be forwarded because of "customs restrictions" (gray chat excerpt included). I've previously received pipes through Royal Mail, including January 2024.

I then found another Peterson 31 and asked the seller specifically if they could ship by Royal Mail instead of GSP and they agreed before I bid. I won the auction, but they can't figure out how to change the shipping method and invoice me for the new total including the slightly higher Royal Mail shipping quote (red warning screenshot attached).

Does anyone know how they can invoice this?

Attachments

• Peterson 31 Stolen By Pitney Bowes.jpg
    Peterson 31 Stolen By Pitney Bowes.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Pitney Bowes Delivery Exception.PNG
    Pitney Bowes Delivery Exception.PNG
    56.7 KB · Views: 14
  • UK Seller GSP note.jpg
    UK Seller GSP note.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 14

Solar&Briar

Lurker
Apr 27, 2024
When seller sends an updated invoice there is an option to add another shipping service under the original shipping service.
I thought there was an option to do that. I haven't sold in a while but I remember doing that when someone said FedEx was the only service that reliably delivered to them. The seller could not figure it out and sent a separate PayPal invoice not associated with the ebay transaction.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I have an amusing "it was grabbed by customs" story, only amusing because it didn't happen to me.

A friend bought a box of extremely rare H Upmann cigars, one of the last known boxes of this stick, original release, the works so he buys the box, this was about 15 yrs ago and pays $16 for it. There are a lot of people with a lot of money and they like to chase the white whale rare sticks, anyway so he pays for the box and it's being shipped from the UK to him in the Midwest of the US. They package it all up, first they send out the empty box, no problem guy get's the empty box, then they package up the sticks, the only problem is the nit wit that was doing the packaging not only didn't take the bands off to send with the empty box, he put "cuban cigars" on the customs forms LOL, do you think customs grabbed them? The correct answer is yes. So my friend is very unhappy and calls up this vendor, that he has bought man hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of cigars off of over the years and calmly explains what happened. The vendor, while never having guarantees, asks my friend to send him back the empty box and proceeds to refund the full amount of the cigars then sends him a box of CoRos as an apology.

There is a well known cigar vendor in London that if you go in his shop there is an empty Upmann box front and center of the shop right behind the counter, he put it there as a reminder. Oh and yes the hammer head that did the shipping was immediately fired. LOL I love that story!

Reactions: orlandofurioso