Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Gregg1980

Might Stick Around
greg1980, I urge you to get connected with the pipe club of London. They have monthly meetings at a smoke friendly pub and they have special events from time to time. Incredibly interesting and nice group of gents (and a few ladies) and very welcoming.
I just had a look at the website! It's a shame there their meet up point is the other side of London. Its a bit of a jaunt away for someone that doesn't drive.

Reactions: JOHN72

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I'm not in the UK but in Northern NJ I rarely if ever see a pipe smoker. Lot of "my grandfather smoked a pipe," though. I did see a dude walking to his mailbox with a pipe in his mouth about a year ago and I nearly crashed my car.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
The only time I see people smoking a pipe in public is at the monthly pipe club meeting. The theme of the venue for the club meeting is cigars and wine.
I go there occasionally (when there is not a pipe club meeting) to have a beer and a smoke. There is usually no other pipe smokers there- everyone is smoking cigars. It is interesting to note the glances and looks from other people my way as I relax and enjoy a wonderful Lunt. It’s rare, but on occasion I’ll have someone walk by and say that tobacco smells wonderful or I thought about taking up a pipe; my grandfather used to smoke a pipe.
I always say thank you for the compliments and of course encourage those interested to take up the wonderful endeavor and ever so enjoyable art of smoking a pipe.

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
This is an interesting, if a bit sad, thread. Made me recall a time sitting with my daughter outside the MET museum in NYC. Lots of benches and tourists just sitting about resting and amidst the hustle and bustle I catch a wiff. I look over and there is a man, in a jacket, sitting next to the building and puffing away contentedly. The good part is that I went and had a chat. Nice fellow, friendly conversation. Pipes bringing the world together.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Sounds like here in the USA. Except tobacco shops catering to pipe smokers are extremely rare. I’ve seen one fellow smoking a pipe out in public during the last 7 years.

Reactions: Carol and edger

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
An interesting point raised by this thread across the pipe smoking world: how many tobacconist’s shops have gone near you?

At my end there were three tobacconists within, say, a twenty minute walk of my house and they have all gone in the last ten or twenty years. some local newsagents picked up some of the variety of blends but now, not even the local supermarkets (within walking distance) don’t even sell St Bruno or Condor, hence, I have to buy things online or go for a trip to a tobacconists.

Sad times really.

Reactions: Carol and edger

Eastmon

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2022
Vancouver, BC
I only smoke at home, and I dare say that goes for most. But I don’t know anyone else who smokes a pipe.
For me, it’s a home activity because I wouldn’t carry a pipe down to the shops, along with all the gear needed.
I do need a nic hit thru the day, so I resort to rollies for that. But even that gets sideways looks.
As far as the smoke haters, I couldnt care less. I have no respect for people who take the easy road to moral superiority.

Gregg1980

Might Stick Around
I only smoke at home, and I dare say that goes for most. But I don’t know anyone else who smokes a pipe.
For me, it’s a home activity because I wouldn’t carry a pipe down to the shops, along with all the gear needed.
I do need a nic hit thru the day, so I resort to rollies for that. But even that gets sideways looks.
As far as the smoke haters, I couldnt care less. I have no respect for people who take the easy road to moral superiority.
I get the impression that a lot of people in this thread smoke at home. Others members of my household smoke in our garage which is far from comfortable so if i do smoke at home it's on the step outside as long as the sun is shining. Even that I don't feel particularly relaxing. There is so much beautiful countryside where i am and lots of conservation areas with benches on so i generally go and nest myself in one of those areas. I quite enjoy it.

Eastmon

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2022
Vancouver, BC
I get the impression that a lot of people in this thread smoke at home. Others members of my household smoke in our garage which is far from comfortable so if i do smoke at home it's on the step outside as long as the sun is shining. Even that I don't feel particularly relaxing. There is so much beautiful countryside where i am and lots of conservation areas with benches on so i generally go and nest myself in one of those areas. I quite enjoy it.
Yea I can get with that.

It seems to be a solo activity for most, unless there’s another pipe smoker around, but if not, that’s ok.

Reactions: Carol

karibo

Lurker
Jun 4, 2020
London, UK
I was in a night club a few years ago, and a guy in his 40s was smoking a pipe in the smoking area. I think that is the only time I've actually met a pipe smoker in person!

There is a man in his 60s who smokes on a balcony near my local supermarket sometimes. However, these spottings are very rare. I suppose he is visiting family rather than living there.

Apart from that I rarely see anyone. I don't like the (real or imagined) attention, so I keep my pipe smoking to home - unless I am drunk and feeling brave.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I was in a night club a few years ago, and a guy in his 40s was smoking a pipe in the smoking area. I think that is the only time I've actually met a pipe smoker in person!

There is a man in his 60s who smokes on a balcony near my local supermarket sometimes. However, these spottings are very rare. I suppose he is visiting family rather than living there.

Apart from that I rarely see anyone. I don't like the (real or imagined) attention, so I keep my pipe smoking to home - unless I am drunk and feeling brave.
I’m the same to be honest.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I posted this in the "World's slowest race" thread. Thought this thread would be good too.

"I mentioned above that I would love to know what blend they use for their contest. I tried searching the web with no luck. Maybe one of our UK friend knows or could find out. If so, please share the info with us." puffy

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This is an interesting, if a bit sad, thread. Made me recall a time sitting with my daughter outside the MET museum in NYC. Lots of benches and tourists just sitting about resting and amidst the hustle and bustle I catch a wiff. I look over and there is a man, in a jacket, sitting next to the building and puffing away contentedly. The good part is that I went and had a chat. Nice fellow, friendly conversation. Pipes bringing the world together.
Where do you live?

Please put your location in your Profile!

Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I don't see many pipe smokers but I see them. I was in Alicante, Spain, last year, and saw a pipe smoker while walking the streets. Then up in Madrid I was sitting in a little park, smoking my pipe, and I saw old guy smoking his pipe too, waiting for his wife to come out of the market. Here, in Florida, a kind gentleman down in Tampa let me ride his bad ass moto guzzi while he rode my little Kawasaki, and when we stopped for breaks, he'd smoke his pipe.

But in general I see fewer pipe smokers in the U.S. I see people smoking swishers, black n' milds, cigarettes quite a lot, and we'll nod or talk but no one comments on my pipe and I don't comment on their cigarillos or cigs.

I bought my first pipe in Nottingham, England, and I used to see pipe smokers there--but that was thirty years ago.

SaxonX

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2021
Staffordshire Moorlands GB
I am in the Staffordshire Moorlands (England) and rarely see another Pipesmoker in the wild. We have a shop in Newcastle under Lyme, the "Pipe Rack", which I use but like most people online convenience often trumps a visit there.....although even the online shops are generally fairly small family businesses it seems. I smoke in my garden and garage, occasionally in the conservatory if 'her indoors' is out for a while. I do occasionally smoke my pipe when walking the dog in the park or countryside and have never ever had anyone complain or say anything actually. I think I prefer a sit down pipe smoke; sometimes working in the garage I have one but often drop it or spill ash everywhere so avoid it now. We have some great old churches about here and sitting in the church yard with a pipe is very relaxing and the company is very discreet......never had a complaint from any of them yet at least....