PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
When I first saw Falcons and Kirstens I was taken aback by how ugly I found them. I still think they're ugly but I respect the engineering they have and totally get why some people love them.

Reactions: edger

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I have some contenders! My best are all one particular subject of meerschaum: the ever-popular Bacchus! He's supposed to be laughing jovially, or perhaps slightly maniacally, but often I see vintage expressions, even from brands such as Golden Horn and CAO, that are absolutely nightmarish! Eyes are empty slots or pits. Noses look like caricatures. Beards appear to made of chopped meat. Mouths feature gnashing teeth. My ex always cracks up when I send him a photo of the latest one and say in a thick, rough voice, "Hoh! Hoh! Hoh! I cannot shee you becaushe I lack eyesh, but you schmell eshpeshially delishush! Come closher! Hoh! Hoh!" Some have a thousand-yard stare, or appear as though their owner habitually smokes a different, rather green substance inside their heads.

I've compiled a collage. May I present: the manoy horrors of Bacchus! Warning-- do not look if you are easily disgusted or frightened. If you do, just try to picture someone purchasing each of these when they were new, and thinking the carving was in any way pretty.

Attachments

• TheManyHorrorsOfBacchus.JPG
    TheManyHorrorsOfBacchus.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 15

jediofthecode

Lurker
Jan 4, 2023
France
I know you secretly want one of these...it's only $1170:

002-386-4947.6567.jpg

Is this part of the jay leno series from dunhill ?

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I have some contenders! My best are all one particular subject of meerschaum: the ever-popular Bacchus! He's supposed to be laughing jovially, or perhaps slightly maniacally, but often I see vintage expressions, even from brands such as Golden Horn and CAO, that are absolutely nightmarish! Eyes are empty slots or pits. Noses look like caricatures. Beards appear to made of chopped meat. Mouths feature gnashing teeth. My ex always cracks up when I send him a photo of the latest one and say in a thick, rough voice, "Hoh! Hoh! Hoh! I cannot shee you becaushe I lack eyesh, but you schmell eshpeshially delishush! Come closher! Hoh! Hoh!" Some have a thousand-yard stare, or appear as though their owner habitually smokes a different, rather green substance inside their heads.

I've compiled a collage. May I present: the manoy horrors of Bacchus! Warning-- do not look if you are easily disgusted or frightened. If you do, just try to picture someone purchasing each of these when they were new, and thinking the carving was in any way pretty.
I must admit, I like the lecherous looking one, second from the left on the top row—as a caricaturist, I dig the cartoony quality in the face—he might be a modern day Bacchus, if he was sleeping on a bench with a bottle of Twister in his soiled trenchcoat pocket.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ugly is as ugly does. I think pipes that have too much shape and material unrelated to the process of smoking have a head start on ugly. They may be interesting, whimsical, or even fascinating as a small or not so small piece of sculpture, but the idea of sitting down with them for an intense smoke of an engaging blend just doesn't look attainable.

Pipes that conform to the traditional shapes more or less, but have odd lumps, bulges, and protuberances tend toward ugly, or they dive right in.

The White Spot microphone just looks like a toilet tank kit to me.

If I have to figure out where the chamber of the pipe is, no matter how cleverly concealed it may be, I'm on my way to finding it ugly.

Hurriedly executed rustication that lacks uniformity or tactile texture verges on ugly right away, as do blasts that look generally like rustication without redeeming texture.

Pipes with no grain and a matte finish that stays a sullen gray-brown concede to being ugly. A Kaywoodie Drinkless Ruff-Tone I bought some years ago was at the edge of that, but has since blossomed into a polished look with hints or red, to my alarm/delight.

One man's ugly can be another's adventure into imagination. But sometimes ugly is just ugly, no matter how you turn it.

A traditional shape carefully crafted, with design touches showing that the industrial designer or artisan carver was adding his or her wisdom to the style, these are ugly-proof. They may catch our attention or just serve their purpose, but either way, they are beautiful.