PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Title edited for caps.

Well my trip to the big smoke is going brilliantly! Last night after a wonderful meal and drinks, myself and the better half spent 2 hours locked in an elevator with 8 other people. Tried the phone in the elevator and got asked to push a few buttons to trouble shoot which I did, response was “yeah it’s stuck”, no shit Sherlock! How long until you get here? was my next question………3 hours was the reply. At this point I made a management decision to call 000 and get the fire department. They arrived swiftly and got some airflow to us through the roof whilst they found a way to get us out. Ladders, harnesses and a less than dignified exit for the lady folk wearing dresses, we all clambered out of the hole.

Needless to say the hotel management where we are staying won’t be able to sit down this morning after the arse reaming I gave them last night but truly, what’s the attraction of big city living? You wait in lines for everything, cars spend more time idling than they do driving, no one smiles or says hello, everyone is dressed in black with phones mounted on their noses like that thing out of the Alien movies, geeez I could write a book about the unsavory things I’ve seen here this trip but then there is the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about. People are as dumb as a dog turd, won’t take responsibility, they deflect onto someone or something else. It starts at management and knocks on down to staff at all levels. Everyone seems to not want to get involved, little wonder politicians are running rampant across the globe if what I’ve seen this trip is a cross section of the population.

I live a pretty quiet, isolated life granted but the shit I’ve seen over the last few days really has me scratching my head. I think it’s time for the meteor to hit because as a species we have peaked.

As an aside the high point to the trip was to see some of our beef in a steakhouse down here. Strip loin, eye fillet, tomahawks and slow cooked briskets on the menu with prices ranging from $80 all the way up to $200 for 750gm tomahawk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't wish to be the bearer of bad news, but there are small to medium towns/cities where they have elevators. And if they break down, it might take 2 to 4 times longer to have them repaired as it is likely the elevator company is further away. So you'd be back to relying on the local fire department.

I also grew up in a rural area but from age 22 on, have mostly lived in or near metropolitan areas. It is my experiences the percentage of dumb asses in the city is about the same as in the country. The difference is they seem more concentrated in the city so you notice them more.

I enjoy the simplicity of country life when I go back home to visit relatives and friends. But I also become bored rather quickly. I can live anywhere I choose at this point in my life and I didn't give any consideration to purchasing a home back in the country where I grew up.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Fire Dept is always the first call. They know how to handle the hydrolics, how the emergency keys function and how to read the procedures. All elevators are different.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
As an aside the high point to the trip was to see some of our beef in a steakhouse down here. Strip loin, eye fillet, tomahawks and slow cooked briskets on the menu with prices ranging from $80 all the way up to $200 for 750gm tomahawk.
Sorry to hear of your unpleasant experience in the elevator
Hopefully no one involved suffered from claustrophobia

We keep reading about how much the price of meat (beef, lamb) has come down at the farm gate in the past few months.
We're yet to see that translated into retail prices
Let alone restaurant prices :(

Reactions: sablebrush52

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Don't remember how tall was our apartment building back in Flushing, NY. We lived on 9th floor. Occasionally, the elevator will skip some floors. Like our floor. Like any normal buildings in NYC, we didn't have 13th floor. Yeah, sometimes, it's like nightmare waiting to happen.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
So everyone who lives in a big city is 'as dumb as a dog turd'. That sounds perfectly reasonable from someome who spent a couple of days in one, spending most of the time screaming at management because the morons allowed a lift to get stuck. You know a city of millions is full to the brim with ignorant dullards if you get stuck in an elevator in the city they live in, I mean, you'd think at least one of them would have seen it coming.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
So everyone who lives in a big city is 'as dumb as a dog turd'. That sounds perfectly reasonable from someome who spent a couple of days in one, spending most of the time screaming at management because the morons allowed a lift to get stuck. You know a city of millions is full to the brim with ignorant dullards if you get stuck in an elevator in the city they live in, I mean, you'd think at least one of them would have seen it coming.
Any more, I tend to agree with @VDL_Piper. I lived in downtown Philadelphia for ten years in the 80's, but got out as the crack epidemic got worse and crime skyrocketed. Since then, the city has had it's ups and downs, but it's been on an overall downward trajectory of late. The COVID crap accelerated the decline exponentially and like a failing business, the people who stayed behind, rather than move on to greener pastures, tend to be idiots. A broken elevator is indicative of a lack of scheduled maintenance, part and parcel with the downward spiral sucking in most major cities.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Any more, I tend to agree with @VDL_Piper. I lived in downtown Philadelphia for ten years in the 80's, but got out as the crack epidemic got worse and crime skyrocketed. Since then, the city has had it's ups and downs, but it's been on an overall downward trajectory of late. The COVID crap accelerated the decline exponentially and like a failing business, the people who stayed behind, rather than move on to greener pastures, tend to be idiots. A broken elevator is indicative of a lack of scheduled maintenance, part and parcel with the downward spiral sucking in most major cities.
London has its problems, no doubt about that. I regularly have to chase away drug users when they congregate on my road. But this is never much of a problem because the poor bastards are strung out and as thin as rakes. An eight year old could knock them over. Nevertheless, it normally makes for an unpleasant scene, no one needs that, me or them.

But not everyone can leave. Some of us are stuck here. I could leave, but if I did that, and other family members did the same, my mum would have to go in a home, as she is too sick to leave. And I won't allow that to happen. But for sure, when the time comes, I will probably relocate, either to Ireland, or somewhere on the English coast. Those places have their own problems too though. I would never label everyone living in those communities as 'dumb as turd' because of them though.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
London has its problems, no doubt about that. I regularly have to chase away drug users when they congregate on my road. But this is never much of a problem because the poor bastards are strung out and as thin as rakes. An eight year old could knock them over. Nevertheless, it normally makes for an unpleasant scene, no one needs that, me or them.

But not everyone can leave. Some of us are stuck here. I could leave, but if I did that, and other family members did the same, my mum would have to go in a home, as she is too sick to leave. And I won't allow that to happen. But for sure, when the time comes, I will probably relocate, either to Ireland, or somewhere on the English coast. Those places have their own problems too though. I would never label everyone living in those communities as 'dumb as turd' because of them though.
Currently planning a visit - London is chock full of sites we want to experience and really looking forward to it! Unless we go up a tall building just for a view there won’t be any lifts we encounter so far as I know. More worried about clean public loos than rogue lifts, lol.

If some of @VDL_Piper’s beef is on the menu somewhere let me know and we’ll dig in!

Still, the thought of being stuck on the “Eye” scares me enough we won’t be getting on, lol.

In contrast, the elevator that served two floors of our church in our small town got stuck (nobody in it) - took a week for someone from the “big city” to come take a look and a couple months for them to get what they needed and come back and fix it. Different challenges.

Reactions: WerewolfOfLondon
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Funny & potentially horrific at the same time. Again, the Fire Dept saves the day. Stuck in an elevator is no joke. Having the managers tell you you’ll be there for 3 hours is unacceptable. One would hope they told you this as a case of “undercommitting & overperforming”.😆
Also, city life is not for me either…way too many people. My brother lives in Brooklyn, NY & everytime I drive across the Verrazano Narrows I start getting more anxious than normal. 😬 It’s a thing. Nice gripe! 👍☕

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA

I love cities, and everything they have to offer. Right now though, the cost in terms of crime, filth, homeless/drug addicts/mentally ill, insane public policy, make it all rather untenable for me. And I would really miss my five acres of wooded heaven. But when we get older, and taking care of the property becomes difficult, and if things improve in Philadelphia, I could see moving back. It would be one hell of a garage sale, that's for sure!