Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
W

Woah cool I didn’t know that you could disassemble while warm. You’re takin me to meerschaum university :ROFLMAO:
Modern meerschaum pipes whether they have the screw-in tenon and mortise inserts or the permanently affixed mortise insert never have direct stem to stummel contact. No need to fear removing the stem from the pipe regardless of temperature though I would suggest getting one without the screw in inserts.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
If you follow the simple steps of 'Meerschaum Maintenance' you should enjoy years of hassle free smokes. Many people ask me if they should buy an old meerschaum pipe in the style that both myself and @weezell smoke or something similar. I always point out that owning one of these antique pipes is not unlike owning a Model T Ford. Properly maintained and carefully shepherded it will give you years of faithful service equal to the years before you acquired it. Treat it like a modern pipe and it will rebel against the modern world and you will enjoy an endless procession of snapped bone tenons, shattered amber or amberite stems and threaded shanks not to mention repair bills into the hundreds of dollars. Relearn the things our grandfathers took as granted and you will have hours of pleasure and a rewarding relationship with the past.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
If you follow the simple steps of 'Meerschaum Maintenance' you should enjoy years of hassle free smokes. Many people ask me if they should buy an old meerschaum pipe in the style that both myself and @weezell smoke or something similar. I always point out that owning one of these antique pipes is not unlike owning a Model T Ford. Properly maintained and carefully shepherded it will give you years of faithful service equal to the years before you acquired it. Treat it like a modern pipe and it will rebel against the modern world and you will enjoy an endless procession of snapped bone tenons, shattered amber or amberite stems and threaded shanks not to mention repair bills into the hundreds of dollars. Relearn the things our grandfathers took as granted and you will have hours of pleasure and a rewarding relationship with the past
Well said man. Interesting to hear about antique meers. I’ll probably stick to my modern meerschaums for now puffy

Reactions: Chasing Embers

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I don't wash my hands to remove oils or wear gloves. The bowl develops a faint amber color where you hold it but the effect is not dissimilar from the color that develops from smoking. It also makes the whole process less finicky.