PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Meerly John

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2021
Mid-USA
I have 4 cheap unbranded 3/4 size meerschaums and they're some of my favorite pipes. I think it's by far the best pipe material and meerschaum is my priority going forward as a collector. I've got an IMP coming this week, I expect my next several pipes will be Altinays.

I think you're really going to enjoy them. They're light, clean, and impossible to burn. The progressive coloring is some good bonus fun as well. Post a picture of what you've got coming!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Not likely. It all depends on the block of meerschaum that was used. There are those that also say that certain tobaccos color faster than others.
Right on, all of my meers have been basically dedicated to Ryback. Very dry tobacco. Coloring slowly. I'm going to switch to Carter hall, and see if it speeds it up at all.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have only owned briar pipes and have received tons of enjoyment thus far. I just order my first Meerschaum coming in from Turkey. Would some please share their Meerschaum experiences and advise?

Thanks!
My favorite thing about my meerschaums, other than how they change color, is how light they are. The first time I ever held one, I thought it was fake like made of plastic. Couldn't believe how light they are.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I keep making little dents in the bottom of my meerschaum with my pipe cleaners. Guess I’ve gotta be more careful of that. It happens when I pass a pipe cleaner during a smoke and can’t tell when it’s all the way in since I can’t see the pipe cleaner. I’d imagine it would take serious force to actually puncture through the chamber and create a hole but I’m not sure. Something to keep in mind for your first meerschaum. Congrats my friend. puffy

Reactions: dunnyboy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I keep making little dents in the bottom of my meerschaum with my pipe cleaners. Guess I’ve gotta be more careful of that. It happens when I pass a pipe cleaner during a smoke and can’t tell when it’s all the way in since I can’t see the pipe cleaner. I’d imagine it would take serious force to actually puncture through the chamber and create a hole but I’m not sure. Something to keep in mind for your first meerschaum. Congrats my friend. puffy
Pipe cleaners never touch my meerschaum stummels. I clean them using only paper towels and Q-tips.

Reactions: dunnyboy

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I don't have that happen with any pipe but with a meerschaum, it should absorb excess moisture.
I don't have that happen with any pipe but with a meerschaum, it should absorb excess moisture.
Yeah I’ve def had that problem with cheapo basket pipes but never really with the two briars I have on my rack or my cobs. I probably am just pushing the meerschaum too hard because it tastes so great and smokes so cool. Definitely doesn’t happen all the time with it though. puffy