PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I don’t hear people mention it as particularly sweet, but I found that Captain Earle’s Mystic was really sweet in a good, natural kinda way. When dried properly it also burns like a dream.

I smoke English blends almost exclusively. Some of my favorites, in no particular order:

Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake
Ashton Artisan’s Blend
Peterson (Dunhill) Nightcap
Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding
Hearth & Home BlackHouse
Drucquer & Sons Blairgowrie

The list could go on forever, but the above are all premium quality blends. If you find one or two you love, stock up on ‘em. In the few years I’ve been into pipes I’ve seen tobacco prices increase probably 30% or more…

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Could somebody here recommend a beginner’s English or crossover tobacco with an English element? I’ve only ever smoked Virginias and some aromatics. I’d like to try an English or a mixture but maybe I can’t go all the way at first. Plus my family can’t take too harsh of a smell and I live in a country where I can’t get very obscure blends. I can get Rattray, Dan, Solani, R. McConnell, Peterson, C&D, Samuel G, and a few others.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
I don’t smoke Latakia too often but when I do it is exclusively GLP blends. Gaslight is my favorite.

Reactions: Indygrap

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Could somebody here recommend a beginner’s English or crossover tobacco with an English element? I’ve only ever smoked Virginias and some aromatics. I’d like to try an English or a mixture but maybe I can’t go all the way at first. Plus my family can’t take too harsh of a smell and I live in a country where I can’t get very obscure blends. I can get Rattray, Dan, Solani, R. McConnell, Peterson, C&D, Samuel G, and a few others.
For Rattray’s, I’d recommend Black Mallory, a delicious English with cavendish, or 3 Noggins. If you can get Gawith Hoggarth, Balkan Mixture; it’s not a Balkan as I define the genre, but it’s a delicious, rounded English. McConnell’s Oriental is highly recommended, as is Dan Tobacco’s Gordon Pym, although the latter is on the heavier side of latakia blends. If you can get GLPease, I highly recommend Caravan as an example of how stellar a true Balkan can be. (And only GLP has an actual range of Balkan blends.) For a soft English, his Maltese Falcon is very good; his Westminster is an archetypal English that smokes fresh as if it’s already been cellared for a decade.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Could somebody here recommend a … crossover tobacco with an English element?
SG’s Navy Flake and Perfection are two favorites. GH’s Bob’s Chocolate Flake too. These are all definitely not like typical aromatics but they do feature flavors such as rum, vanilla, and cocoa being added to more typical English tobaccos (i.e., latakia).

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Not that there’s any right or wrong answer when this question is asked but… what’s your favorite pipe to smoke these in? I’m currently using my BBB 335 apple as my dedicated English pipe.
Ok. You got me. I’m just looking for an excuse to get a new pipe. 🤣🤣
I've tried an assortment of shapes and what comes through, for me anyway, is that I like latakia blends with a nice dose of orientals in a pipe with a wider bowl. My go-to is a Savinelli prince. And if you haven't tried it yet, get your hands on some Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader. Its currently in stock at several places online.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
If you want to just dip your toe in with latakia, you might try what are often called "Scottish" mixtures/blends. Rattray's Jock's Mixture is quite good. It is lightly seasoned with latakia and is a relatively mild smoke. A more typically English, and medium bodied blend would be Peterson's Early Morning Pipe. A good bulk offering from C&D is their Super Balkan. For a fuller-bodied blend, you might try Rattray's Accountant's Mixture. For a very oriental forward blend, give Rattray's Red Rapparee a try.

Reactions: milk

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
If you want to just dip your toe in with latakia, you might try what are often called "Scottish" mixtures/blends. Rattray's Jock's Mixture is quite good. It is lightly seasoned with latakia and is a relatively mild smoke. A more typically English, and medium bodied blend would be Peterson's Early Morning Pipe. A good bulk offering from C&D is their Super Balkan. For a fuller-bodied blend, you might try Rattray's Accountant's Mixture. For a very oriental forward blend, give Rattray's Red Rapparee a try.
Thanks. Those are all easily available so I’ll look into them.