PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I picked up a tin of Consummate Gentlemen & a tin of Vieux Carre a while back & I’ve gotta say; I dig English blends. Any recommendations for further research?
I like the scotch like flavor & the smooth slow burn. A nice hint of sweet wouldn’t get kicked out of bed either. Lay it on me brothers & sisters!

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Ashton's Artisan's Blend and GL Pease Quiet Nights are my go-to English blends.

GL Pease Westminster is also a favorite of mine.

I used to smoke Englishes almost exclusively when I first started smoking, but I've since moved on to more Virginia and Virginia/Periques.

But I still enjoy a good English and dram of whiskey on a cool night.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I picked up a tin of Consummate Gentlemen & a tin of Vieux Carre a while back & I’ve gotta say; I dig English blends. Any recommendations for further research?
I like the scotch like flavor & the smooth slow burn. A nice hint of sweet wouldn’t get kicked out of bed either. Lay it on me brothers & sisters!
Those are some interesting blends you mentioned as they stray away from the standard Englishes a bit.

This is cut and pasted from the old Gold standard list of English crossovers.
Crossover English:
Boswell's NorthWoods
C&D Epiphany
Kramer's Cary Grant & Danny Kaye
Lane HGL
Peter Stokkebye EOS & Luxury English
Sutliff Match Revelation

Reactions: Indygrap and Deano

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA

Glad to see you like Vieux Carre its one of my favorite blends.

Try some English blends from LJ Peretti/Watch City Cigar/Wilke. Just go on their websites and get some samples of whatever sounds good to you! They are all excellent.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
GL Pease is a blender you'll want to get acquainted with. He uses latakia very well, and in many blends.

Whenever I crave a latakia rich English, I usually end up going with Quiet Nights or HH Latakia Flake.

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
I need

Try some English blends from LJ Peretti/Watch City Cigar/Wilke. Just go on their websites and get some samples of whatever sounds good to you! They are all excellent.
Lord knows I dont need any baccy but as a fan of Basil Rathbone l need to get some Wilke 515 to try.

Reactions: Peter Turbo

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Consummate Gemtleman is very oriental forward, with the latakia very much in the background, as I recall. SG Skiff is along those lines.
In my book, an English blend is lat forward. My favorites in the medium English category are Peterson (formerly Dunhill) Standard,and Peterson Old Dublin. Both are classics, but there are lots of choices.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA

I found some at my B&M from 2016. Figured it was worth a shot. I like most of C&D’s stuff but I’d like to branch out a bit.

Reactions: LotusEater

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
In my opinion, GL Pease Westminster is the quintessential English. As far as Englishes go, it's mild-ish, perfectly balanced, and quite approachable. It's one of my favorites and I bring that blend to any of my friends that want to try their first English.

One of my absolute favorites of all time is GL Pease's Gaslight. C&D's Star of the East is also excellent and for me it edges out Stokkebye's Proper English.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Where to start? Some of my faves in no particular order:

- Presbyterian (a light English)
- Kramer's Blend for Cary Grant (with a slight aromatic note)
- Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader (simply classic)
- C&D Stratfordshire (underrated blend)
- Gawith Hoggarth & Co. #25 Mixture (underrated blend)
- Drucquer & Sons Loch Ness (a tasty cake)
- C&D Super Balkan (the first English I truly fell in love with)
- GL Pease Quiet Nights (a flake with Perique!)
- Peterson Nightcap (can't go wrong if you want something a little fuller with Perique)
- C&D Habana Daydream (more of crossover Burley with Latakia and Cigar Leaf)
- GL Pease Samarra (so good)
- Arango Balkan Supreme (classic full mixture)

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Not that there’s any right or wrong answer when this question is asked but… what’s your favorite pipe to smoke these in? I’m currently using my BBB 335 apple as my dedicated English pipe.
Ok. You got me. I’m just looking for an excuse to get a new pipe. 🤣🤣

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
Captain Earle's is a name that doesn't get nearly enough mention on here in my opinion.

Captain Earle's Honor Blend is one of my favs, not sure if that counts as English or not
I agree. I bought it because they had a sale at smoking pipes. I found it to be a very nice English.
I plan to try others from CE. I got the 8 ounce jug so unless I plan to cellar more I'm good for now.
But Honor Blend is on the list.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon