PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, now that makes sense.
Yehhhh, I wish people would take a full charge ahead attitude when obstacles get in the way. I would much rather have seen P&C just jump through the hoops, like Laudsi has done. Laudsi is going to be a powerhouse in all aspects of the pipe world, and while that is good, healthy competition is much better for everyone concerned.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Laudsi is going to be a powerhouse in all aspects of the pipe world, and while that is good, healthy competition is much better for everyone concerned.
One effect of regulation is to add costs that don’t scale well, so large companies can comply but newer or smaller entrants cannot. This adds a barrier to entry and is one reason that big business isn’t so anti-regulation as they would have us believe.

The net effect of the FDA regulations will be fewer choices for us, from fewer outlets, at higher prices. Thank god they’re looking out for us.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I’ve been expecting this to happen since the Deeming Regs were published.
If you look at the regs, they apply to finished blends, not components.
So even if a blend doesn’t go through the Deeming process, the components used to make it can still be offered for sale.
That's good to know. Who knows, maybe we'll be exchanging recipes in the future. We have a thread for that.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was noticing that Hearth and Home has more than cut their offerings in half. Anyone heard or in the know on that?
I'm not surprised. With a number of blends going off the market in August they're probably more focused on the better selling blends. The same thing happened before 2018 when that was going to be the cutoff date.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I'm not surprised. With a number of blends going off the market in August they're probably more focused on the better selling blends. The same thing happened before 2018 when that was going to be the cutoff date.
Yikes, "The Day" is in August? Its creeping up fast.

Reactions: BROBS

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
I can't read your link as the P&C site is blocked in EU countries and you just get this message:

" Due to GDPR regulations, our website is currently unavailable in EU member countries."

They need to update their site as we (UK) left the EU a few weeks back, it was in the news and everything.

Anyway, these sound like the same thing GQ Tobaccos in England have been doing for a couple of years now. The previous owner Glynn Quelch used to make his own blends but then new regulations came in and he had to stop so they came up with the blending kit idea.

I've tried a couple of them and they worked well, it was actually interesting seeing the component tobaccos and mixing the leaf together. They do take a few months to start properly marrying together though.
Yeah.....I had a little experiment with the GQ kits....and found it started to taste right at about 3 months....ish

I did press one of them into a cake and it worked very well at about 4 weeks.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
Yeah.....I had a little experiment with the GQ kits....and found it started to taste right at about 3 months....ish

I did press one of them into a cake and it worked very well at about 4 weeks.

I've got some Nottingham Lace Noir and Clementine's Nip that are approaching 2 years old. The extra time really makes a difference.

Reactions: JOHN72

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
This blend at home thing was done during Prohibition. Winemakers would sell bricks of ingredients with a label “warning” that if water was added and left in the dark to ferment, the user might “accidentally “ make alcohol.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Here's the lowdown on why this came about. The FDA wanted proof of sales prior to 2/15/2007 to grandfather a blend. As most of you know we had a different parent company before 2013 and I contacted them to get some sales records as proof. They had a problem with their long-term records and couldn't pull up sales numbers that old so we had nothing the send to the FDA. This was the only way we could keep Trout Stream and some of the other blends alive, so that's what we did.

Russ

Here's the lowdown on why this came about. The FDA wanted proof of sales prior to 2/15/2007 to grandfather a blend. As most of you know we had a different parent company before 2013 and I contacted them to get some sales records as proof. They had a problem with their long-term records and couldn't pull up sales numbers that old so we had nothing the send to the FDA. This was the only way we could keep Trout Stream and some of the other blends alive, so that's what we did.

Russ
It’s great to see you posting again, Russ.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019

Russ
It is a shame the tobacco nannies tied your hands. If you remember, I am the one who suggested to recreate "Tuxedo" on messenger. You are a very skilled blender and it's just criminal that you can't create! Classic Burley Kake is a masterpiece. Chatham Manor, I don't know why but it fries my whole mouth. Tuxedo would be awesome to clone! To be honest Russ, Tux wasn't an aromatic, it was a Burley blend most likely close to SWR regular and Edgeworth.

Status
Not open for further replies.