PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
I respectfully disagree with this statement. I work in a factory as a printing press operator. Most people it takes over 6 months to learn how to run these machines unassisted. Alot of them don't make it at all. It's a real shame our culture here in America looks down on production workers, food service and the like. That's why everything is made in China anymore. We don't respect our blue collar workers, and tell our youth the only way to be successful is to go to college. I own a 4 bedroom 2500ft house on 3 acres, I make a good living in manufacturing. I'm very proud of what I do. 20 years now when you can't even find a roofer or a plumber, all these college do gooders are going to wish they respected us more. Society would collapse in a week without tradesman and police.
far too many kids being lied to by colleges and grown ups. Lead to believe only way to make it is get a degree in somthing you dont like or just are not good at. Or worse yet useless degree only to find out they cant get a job with a Masters Degree in underwater basket weaving. Let alone make $100,000 a year like they expect starting out. Being a cop is largely a thankless job done by brave, proud, patriotic men and women because they know someone has to do it. Its not going to be the kid in a man bunn putting his ass on the line with very few exceptions. I dont see any of you naysayers putting your hat in the ring.

Last edited:

creole

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2019
Where I grew up, there wasn’t much difference between the cops and the criminals. Certainly there are some wonderful, dedicated cops, and the truly bad ones may be a minority. The problem, in my experience, is that the cops who are not themselves bad actors, know that they will only suffer if they call out the ones who are up to no good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A friend's son trained and worked as a rookie policeman for a few years, and I met him in uniform with his dad one time. After a few years he left policing and re-trained as an EMT, and I felt relief at the time. EMT is no bed of roses, and can come with its own dangers, but I felt it was a better job for this guy, more life affirming and less prone to bad choices. I think policing attracts solid people with a moral center, but also some with deep authority and personal power problems that soon surface in their work. I don't know how you screen those people out; you've got to be assertive, confidant, and commanding, and after that, who can evaluate future behavior? As an earlier post said, some law enforcement may be compensating for being bullied, but others were the bullies and continue to be.

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
well it's obvious who is a cop here. lol
Not a cop but i have family and close friends that are. Its easy to complain about stuff its hard to do something about it. If you think you can do better show us and put your ass on the line or quit complaining. Every line of work has people that are bad at their jobs except when they mess up it doesnt make the news. You ever screw up at your job? bet you have and i bet you had longer than 1 second to maske your decisions. Cops are people and people make mistakes except cops have to live with their mistakes the rest of their lives. when you make a mistake you get chewed out by the boss and you go home and have a beer and then you try again next week

Reactions: mikey517

davek

Mar 20, 2014
I didn't say it doesn't take skill to work in a factory.
My Grandfather worked his whole life at John Deere and my other Grandfather for Maytag.
I'm saying these are the only jobs that take no training to start.
I realize you have to learn once you get hired.. but do you think that's how a police force should operate?
Instead these 19 year olds who "can't make it" stay on the job the rest of their life, or move from department to department... rather than being weeded out like in a factory setting.
Don't forget the skilled trades, buddy. I'm a machinist myself. You can't just walk in and do that. There is on the job training if you are lucky, but we're talking years at low pay to get marketable skills. I personally got on entry level like that, but also took some college courses to become proficient more quickly. Good move, I would not have survived the downsizings in the Great Recession otherwise.

MY MOTHER IS A SAINT
I don' recall ever sleeping with a saint... so you may be in luck. Unless we are talking Saint Bernards... I never slept with a dog, but there were a few weeks that I can't account for after the Berlin Wall crumbled. Some of those East German girls... woof

Status
Not open for further replies.