Trick or Treating: How Old Is Too Old?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I don’t think there should be an age limit or ration on candy. I bought 11 pounds of candy. If it does not finish, then I will have to eat it, which may not be good.

Since I have to keep on opening the door, I just leave a large jar out. Whoever wants candy is happy that I don’t ration them nor watch them if they take a lot.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I honestly don't care. If someone shows up at the door for a treat, they'll get one.

The whole Halloween thing took a huge turn with the arrival of "slutty nurse" costumes.
I never bother answering the door but i'd make an exception for that. I don't keep much candy around the house but i'm sure i'd come up with something.

1698798340519.png

I live out in the country too but I'm the one playing the banjo lol.
Damn, I wish I had read this earlier. I would so be out there on the porch playing my banjo… with my hell hounds at my side. I probably still wouldn’t get any trick or treaters, but it give them something to talk about as they walk by.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Good turnout last night despite the cold. I drank a Gulden Draak and smoked a bowl of Sutliff Victorian, and handed out candy to kids and teens and grownups, and a good time was had by all. I heard of a nearby house that kept a tray of Jell-O shots for grownups, and I am definitely stealing that for next year!

Reactions: David D. Davidson

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
If you’re in costume you get candy. If you’re an adult in costume without kids you also get a “get a job” look.
If you’re a teenager without a costume you get candy but also a standardized comment, “ you want something for nothing? You’re a crumb bum”. Denying anyone candy, no thank you. I saw the Halloween Curb Your Enthusiasm episode.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I think eighth grade should be the cut off, but we hand out candy to anyone who knocks on the door.

We purchased 60 Reese's Peanut Butter cups and 60 Rice Krispie Treats to hand out...we got three trick-or-treaters. Good thing I like Rice Krispie Treats.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Settle this eternal debate: how old is too old for trick or treating?

I've had the smattering of teens come to my door, but I'd say most kids stop when they are about 11 or 12. I'm sure most of you are the turn-the-lights-off-don't-answer-the-door types, but I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts anyways 👍
More situational. Like 13 is too old unless you're going with younger siblings. 18 is fine if you haven't hit puberty yet. Basically once you can have a real girlfriend or boyfriend you're too old.
Last time I went was 12 and got a surprise invite to go so I just quickly made a zombie disguise. A little makeup and lots of dirt and torn clothes.

Aug 11, 2023
Good turnout last night despite the cold. I drank a Gulden Draak and smoked a bowl of Sutliff Victorian, and handed out candy to kids and teens and grownups, and a good time was had by all. I heard of a nearby house that kept a tray of Jell-O shots for grownups, and I am definitely stealing that for next year!
👀 Who the hell got jella shots and ain't already hostin a party? Where you from? 🙆🏾‍♂️ Ain't heard gulden draak in a long time. A long time...

Reactions: ThermionicScott
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
We accidentally live in the posh part and I retired at 2 when a 5 year old started kicking my antique teak wooden front door ( I spent 7 days on restoring it ) when we accidentally did not hear the doorbell . Threatened to set his hair on fire; good riddens.
They did not even dress up.

• Haha
Reactions: mawnansmiff

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
We don't have to decide how old is too old as we haven't had any trick-or-treaters in years. We do have candy on hand, though it was purchased several years ago. We live in a semi-rural area and there are not kids in the neighborhood.