Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I find that pipe travel bags look real nice in photos, but don't carry enough for me and end up fairly bulky. They are made for pipes, and most people probably find them to work great. I bought 3-4 that I tried and didn't find them to work for me. I then bought a roll up tool bag and it works great! Not as much padding but i can travel with many pipes and all my stuff including tobacco in the bag. They come in a variety of sizes. i put my pipes in their bags to protect them. Keep in mind with this advice that I travel with way too much pipe stuff, but why compromise?!!

Reactions: UB 40

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have to call your own shot on this. I agree with Brad that you want good padding if you are traveling with fine pipes. The opposite strategy is to travel mostly/only with more "serviceable" pipes, not your treasures.

I have a fine leather kit that would be impressive if I were attending a pipe club or show. I sometimes think that a noticeably fine case could be thieved just for its appeal, or even more, stolen because it is mistaken for a pistol case. Firearms are hotter than cash for thieves.

So if you feel an evasion tactic might be right, particularly for carry-on airline (or bus or train) luggage, a nylon shaving kit is a good play, very basic. So someone would expect to get your deodorant and disposable razor if they took it. And take only modestly priced pipes, though those are some of my favorites too.

There's plenty of room for two or three pipes, a few pouches or tins or baggies of blends, pipe nails, and pipe cleaners. I think lighters and matches may be verboten on airlines, so those would have to ride in checked luggage, but if you're not sure call in advance to ask.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I typically use a Maxpedition Fatty "edc" pouch; it's a great size to pack gear. It has loops and pockets on the inside; I use small ziplock bags of tobacco to increase padding. I'm typically not taking any high dollar pipes when I travel or go camping.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
You have to call your own shot on this. I agree with Brad that you want good padding if you are traveling with fine pipes. The opposite strategy is to travel mostly/only with more "serviceable" pipes, not your treasures.

I have a fine leather kit that would be impressive if I were attending a pipe club or show. I sometimes think that a noticeably fine case could be thieved just for its appeal, or even more, stolen because it is mistaken for a pistol case. Firearms are hotter than cash for thieves.

So if you feel an evasion tactic might be right, particularly for carry-on airline (or bus or train) luggage, a nylon shaving kit is a good play, very basic. So someone would expect to get your deodorant and disposable razor if they took it. And take only modestly priced pipes, though those are some of my favorites too.

There's plenty of room for two or three pipes, a few pouches or tins or baggies of blends, pipe nails, and pipe cleaners. I think lighters and matches may be verboten on airlines, so those would have to ride in checked luggage, but if you're not sure call in advance to ask.
You may bring one soft lighter on your person, no matches or torch. This means a bic or equivalent or a Zippo. I bought a cheap zippo I wouldn't cry if they take it, but have to buy the fuel at my destination ($5).

Reactions: PaulRVA

greendagger

Lurker
Oct 12, 2023
If you're on the hunt for a travel bag, I've got a couple of suggestions that might do the trick. The Osprey Farpoint is a solid choice, known for its durability and spaciousness.

greendagger

Lurker
Oct 12, 2023
If you're on the hunt for a travel bag, I've got a couple of suggestions that might do the trick. The Osprey Farpoint is a solid choice, known for its durability and spaciousness.
Another option could be the Patagonia Black Hole duffel, which is tough and roomy, perfect for all your gear. When it comes to safety Las Cruces is not considered very safe. It's smart to stay alert and keep an eye on your belongings, especially in crowded or unfamiliar places. Just stay cautious, and you should be fine.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Michigan_Bill

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan