PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
He says it had mislabeled gauges from the factory and was scary and felt disconnected to drive.
I jumped out of a stripped out King Air one time that had about three working gages. I think it was one of the planes that went down a few years later killing all the jumpers on board. Absolutely the scariest part about that jump.

• Wow
Reactions: Gecko
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
My father would second your opinion on Soviet tractors. He had a small farm with two tractors on it back in the 70s. One was a small blue Ford that he liked and the other was a big red Ursus from the wrong side of the iron curtain. He says it had mislabeled gauges from the factory and was scary and felt disconnected to drive.
Those Ursus tractors come from Poland and quality-wise might a been even worse than BelaRusses

Reactions: dcon and Gecko

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
I dont own a tractor myself but i have spent many hours on various farmall's making and bailing hay and ripping and discing field's. My uncle was a huge fan of farmall tractors and the reliability of them.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Blades', if it were big enough to pedal, I might take a turn around the living room, tight turns permitting. However, it is a table top model, so I have to content myself with plowing around the salt cellar and table ware, with its excellent steering. It's offset steering column allows me to make sure I keep it off the furrow (the print on the tablecloth). We do have a "pedal" horse on the front porch, but that old tin nag is too fragile to ride, so we just let him watch the passing traffic. My wife grew up on a cattle farm in Northeast Missouri, so we have a pie safe in the foyer and often have Grandma Girtha's fried potatoes with a meal. When in Missouri on a more recent trip, we took apples to Hawk, a "free" horse her cousin was given, old fella blind in one eye. My wife got too close when he was lifting his head and got kind of a boxer's cut, just being grazed by that big neck, no malice or aggression involved, just a big strong horse. Farm girl that she is, we went to the local drugstore to doctor it, and they were patient and helpful. That's the local ER, as it were. I thought I went out bravely with a bucket of grain to feed the cows and that ton of Angus bull, but apparently my body language was trepidatious and the family was amused -- the boy is humongous, but calm, and uh, sticks to his business producing calves.
When I was a kid we would buy my father the die cast tractors for every holiday (birthdays christmas etc). When my father past away i was lucky enough to get the collection they are very special to me

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No tractor but I recall the first time I was allowed to drive one. Coulda been 10 years old or so. A Case, seemed big enough to a young boy, but is minuscule by today's standards.

Reactions: scloyd
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
When I was a kid, cotton was king here in NW Louisiana. We leased our property out for cotton farming, and I used to get to drive the combines when I was little. When the cotton was picked, they’d load it into cotton trailers. For us kids, there was nothing more fun than playing in a partially loaded cotton trailer. We’d find one where the cotton was high on one end of the trailer and low on the other, and do flips and stuff from the high end down to the low end. It was like a poor country kid’s trampoline.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Being an outsider to farming, I do observe that tractors really are built to last, even the ones from the 1950's when they were building cars to rust out and break down to be replaced, which was good industrial practice in the U.S. at the time. It seems tractor mechanics, pros or shade tree, can take a tractor from eighty years ago and get it running. That's serious durability.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Remembered to snap a pic over the weekend. I've got the brush hog on there. I also have a plow, cultivator, sickle bar mower, dozer blade, snow blower, cart, sulky, and finish mower. Can't beat old cast iron! Also, can't find new parts or keep it running...IMG_20200606_112849879.jpg

Reactions: scloyd and jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.