PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

manwe967

Lurker
Aug 20, 2020
Old Fort, NC
B&B there in Asheville has a pretty good selection. I think they have all of the Peter Stokkebye bulks, or they used to. But, good ol smokingpipes.com is also always a great source for online orders.
Thanks. I'll check that out next time I'm in Asheville. I live about 20 minutes out and we don't get there very often these days with everything going on.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

manwe967

Lurker
Aug 20, 2020
Old Fort, NC
Oh, I had one question. One of the things that came in the toolkit that I got for Christmas was a couple of these small little wire mesh things that look like they are shaped to fit in the bottom of a pipe bowl. Is this some kind of filter, if not, then what purpose does it serve?

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Hello from just outside Asheville, NC. I'm tired of burning the crap out of my mouth, so I decided I should actually invest some time into learning. My wife bought me a couple of briar pipes and some tobacco last Christmas. I know virtually nothing about them, but I pull them out about once every other month and give it a try. It mostly just causes frustration trying to keep them lit and results in a hurt tongue. I actually do really enjoy the process of setting everything up so it's not a total loss, but I'm sure I could enjoy it a lot more.

Not really looking for answers here. I know there is tons of information waiting for me when I start digging through threads. I just wanted to say hi really. I'll post some questions when I've spent come time learning what to ask.

Rob

Hiya, Rob! So another Nawth Carolinian. God, you guys are going to run the rest of us out with all the room you take up! -laugh- Howdy & welcome, in my case from just down the road over the border (Spartanburg area)! Glad to have you here; ask away whenever you feel like it. Opinions & advice abound in this bunch. (Usually wrong or right, but we've got 'em!)

Bill

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Oh, I had one question. One of the things that came in the toolkit that I got for Christmas was a couple of these small little wire mesh things that look like they are shaped to fit in the bottom of a pipe bowl. Is this some kind of filter, if not, then what purpose does it serve?
Those are called pipe screens, & you're right -- that's exactly where they go & what they do. Basically they're mean to keep embers & hot ash from making their way to your mouth. Some people use them, some don't.

Bill

manwe967

Lurker
Aug 20, 2020
Old Fort, NC
Hiya, Rob! So another Nawth Carolinian. God, you guys are going to run the rest of us out with all the room you take up! -laugh- Howdy & welcome, in my case from just down the road over the border (Spartanburg area)! Glad to have you here; ask away whenever you feel like it. Opinions & advice abound in this bunch. (Usually wrong or right, but we've got 'em!)

Bill
If it makes you feel any better, my brother lives in Columbia. Works at Fort Jackson, went to Clemson and USC.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Thanks for the welcome and all the suggestions. Hopefully this doesn't start a religious war, but any preferences as to where to guy tobacco. Not many shops around these days that are actually open. Do you buy online?

A lot of us do, yeah. Smokingpipes.com & the other site sponsors are good places to get good stuff. Bricks/mortar shops are harder to come by than they used to be, but are still around. If you nose around locally it should be fairly easy to sift out the places that cater mainly to vaping. I also like to buy from a shop over in Gatlinburg, either online or whenever I make it over there. It's called the Gatlinburlier, & the guys there absolutely know their stuff.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I have to say I made the same mistake when I started and got aros and it was so disappointing. I finally got some Prince Albert and it all clicked. Try some Carter Hall it is great for a beginner and is a great all day smoke

Reactions: lawdawg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
A lot of us do, yeah. Smokingpipes.com & the other site sponsors are good places to get good stuff. Bricks/mortar shops are harder to come by than they used to be, but are still around. If you nose around locally it should be fairly easy to sift out the places that cater mainly to vaping. I also like to buy from a shop over in Gatlinburg, either online or whenever I make it over there. It's called the Gatlinburlier, & the guys there absolutely know their stuff.

Yeah, we pretty much all buy online. However, I just wanted to add that if you have a brick and mortar store in your area that carries a selection of pipe tobacco, pipes, etc., then it's a good thing to patronize the store at least once in a while. Brick and mortar pipe shops are an endangered species, and there is legitimate concern that the easy mail-order purchasing of tobacco might not last forever due to the ever-encroaching anti-tobacco legislation. Help keep the brick and mortar stores afloat if you can.

manwe967

Lurker
Aug 20, 2020
Old Fort, NC
I have to say I made the same mistake when I started and got aros and it was so disappointing. I finally got some Prince Albert and it all clicked. Try some Carter Hall it is great for a beginner and is a great all day smoke
Well, at least I can blame my wife. ?I'll take the advice and try to order some Carter Hall while I play around with the stuff I have.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Hello from just outside Asheville, NC. I'm tired of burning the crap out of my mouth, so I decided I should actually invest some time into learning. My wife bought me a couple of briar pipes and some tobacco last Christmas. I know virtually nothing about them, but I pull them out about once every other month and give it a try. It mostly just causes frustration trying to keep them lit and results in a hurt tongue. I actually do really enjoy the process of setting everything up so it's not a total loss, but I'm sure I could enjoy it a lot more.

Not really looking for answers here. I know there is tons of information waiting for me when I start digging through threads. I just wanted to say hi really. I'll post some questions when I've spent come time learning what to ask.

Rob
Welcome, I’m not too far from you in Raleigh. You have a great shop near you, B&B? I visit Asheville occasionally. Love it up your way. Try a tobacco that’s not too moist and burns easily. Try to be gentle and slow when you smoke it. Smaller sips in, and slight puffs of breath out through the pipe in rhythm with your natural breathing pattern will help you stay lit and smoke cooler.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Totally Ignorant From N.C.? There's a joke there, but I'll leave it alone. Moved down here in '72 on GI Bill out of the Navy. I'm not totally ignorant, but some say I'm working on it.

• Haha

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Welcome from Gatlinburg, the right side of the mountains:LOL:

Cosmic was pretty well spot on (except about the shoes, people from Alabama don't know anything about shoes and even less about pants). I would suggest when you decide you are ready to buy a little more tobacco, buy a Latakia mixture, something like Peterson 965 or Rattray Highland Targe. You 'll get flavor without having to over do it, and those blends tend to stay cool. Latakia may not be your thing forever, but I think it eases people in better.

ArtAraya

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Palm Coast, FL
Welcome ... Start with an English Blend. They are the easiest to smoke and most flavorful. Peterson’s Early Morning Pipe is a great beginner choice.

Just got my first tin of EMP. I've been a Aromatic smoker primarily. That first tin-note is very off-putting, not at all inviting like an aromatic. It's musky and something like manure??? Tell me that it smokes better than it smells. Also, is the room note the same as the tin-note? If so, I've gotta make sure I'm far from the wife when I try the EMP for the first time...

It is better that you smoke it away from your wife. English blends do not have a good room note in general.

EMP is very flavorful but it’s pure tobacco and will taste like tobacco. It will smoke much cooler compared to both aromatics and Virginia blends. Most beginners would get maximum flavor out of an English blend. All the best in your journey! I sincerely hope you would like it!

Just got my first tin of EMP. I've been a Aromatic smoker primarily. That first tin-note is very off-putting, not at all inviting like an aromatic. It's musky and something like manure??? Tell me that it smokes better than it smells. Also, is the room note the same as the tin-note? If so, I've gotta make sure I'm far from the wife when I try the EMP for the first time...

Reactions: ArtAraya

ArtAraya

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Palm Coast, FL
It is better that you smoke it away from your wife. English blends do not have a good room note in general.

EMP is very flavorful but it’s pure tobacco and will taste like tobacco. It will smoke much cooler compared to both aromatics and Virginia blends. Most beginners would get maximum flavor out of an English blend. All the best in your journey! I sincerely hope you would like it!

Just smoked my first bowl of EMP. As you said, the tobacco is much more flavorful than the aromatics I've smoked. I think it's my first experience tasting the tobacco in the smoke. It tastes better than it smells though I can imagine the the smell grows on you as smoke it more. It was enjoyable and I think it'll only get more so as I adjust to this new family of tobacco.

I'll get another couple of tins and cellar them.

When social smoking among friends I'll stick with a vanilla black cavendish, however.

ArtAraya

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Palm Coast, FL
Just smoked my first bowl of EMP. As you said, the tobacco is much more flavorful than the aromatics I've smoked. I think it's my first experience tasting the tobacco in the smoke. It tastes better than it smells though I can imagine the the smell grows on you as smoke it more. It was enjoyable and I think it'll only get more so as I adjust to this new family of tobacco.

I'll get another couple of tins and cellar them.

When social smoking among friends I'll stick with a vanilla black cavendish, however.

Nic hit is stronger too...

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
they allow you to make a pocket of air at the bottom of the pipe which has benefits and also keep loss bits from getting into the stem. In other words they're mostly useless but some people really like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.