PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
He tried to time his gasps for air with a certain number of footfalls but soon he fell behind and was hyperventilating. He needed to escape quickly. His evening began at a formal event where he pressed the flesh and chatted up everyone to spur the launch of his latest venture, a high-speed digital line to Malawi.
"Good to see you, old boy," said his mentor and angel investor. "There's a new smell in the Valley this morning, rising from the old industry. The scent and taste of death."
"I've never smelled it," said the man in formal attire. "I hope to never experience it, either. I imagine it is a morbid, ghastly and unendurable scent."
At about the halfway point in the event, a tuxedo-wearing employee (they weren't butlers or servants anymore, he reminded himself, but described by the more altruistic generic term "workers") tapped his sleeve and told him he had a phone call. He followed the tuxedo-worker to a side room, where he picked up the phone. A slight breeze, cold with the northern rain, tugged at his ears. He shrugged off a moment of trepidation and picked up the phone.
"Hello?" he said.
"Location confirmed," intoned a digital voice.
He turned to ask his tuxedo-worker, but as he rotated the curtains billowed and a man in black clothes and balaclava fired a single silenced shot -- a wheezing pop -- into the chest of the worker. At that moment, the door swung open and the assailant fired there as well, dropping a socialite who would never again complain that the crepes were not artisanal enough. But his quarry had already fled.
As he ran, the man reflected on his error. He should have run into the ballroom and become lost in the hedge-like crowd, but he had worried that more deaths would occur on his account, if he even could blame himself for this. Perhaps he could: he had edged aside a number of smaller niche industries in his rise to success, and his new product would do more of the same. Now he was trying to outrun a trained and physically optimized mercenary down the dark streets of Washington, D.C.
He did not need to turn; he could hear the footfalls shadowing his own like echoes. He put his computer scientist brain to work. Infinite doors awaited his pursuer; he needed only one. Whipping around a turn with the last of his energy, he went a third of the way down the block and started trying doors. The second gave way and he found himself in an abandoned garage, dense with the stench of urine, rodents and cockroaches. He crouched behind an old chest of drawers and waited.
Out on the street, the mercenary grinned. His targets, no matter how intelligent, could rarely think beyond the narrow framework in which they lived. Extracting his phone, he hit a number. A ringtone sounded and he began walking toward it.
Inside the garage, his target began frantically hitting buttons to navigate the sequence of six menus and keystrokes required to disable sound. It was too late, however. The door burst open and the man covered in black except for his eyes fired two shots into the chest of his prey.
The shock knocked the man in formal wear backward onto the oil-stained and dust-streaked pavement. A coldness crept from within, like a breeze from northern lands beyond the cardinal dimensions. As his vision blurred, he spoke.
"I can taste it... the taste of death."
Startled, the mercenary -- whose own dreams included such fascinations -- asked him, "What's it taste like?"
The man licked his lips. "Floral... like roses, the perfume of an old woman. Geraniums. Sordid lies concealed by pleasant scents."
The mercenary nodded. A long-time pipe-smoker, he knew that scent: Lakeland. It did not surprise him that here at the final moments, the dreaded specter of that top flavoring would make itself known. It was like a ghost in the machine, or a primitive evil god, that suffused the world and appeared wherever death, misery, sadness and subjugation went.
He shrugged and put a final shot into the triangle between eyes and nose. The body relaxed as fluids pooled. The mercenary saw something rise from the corpse, like a fell spirit, but then he caught a whiff of it. The dreaded scent of rancid flowers drew closer... he screamed as his vision clouded black.
Outside a police car drove past on its regular patrol. One of the officers thought he saw flashes of pink and fuchsia from the dingy windows of an abandoned garage. But, not wanting to get sidelined with mental disability for such a fruity report, he said nothing, and the car glided on.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sounds like what happens when you smoke Mixture 79.
hahaha-024.gif

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
You should have a warning on the post. There are service mebers here that do suffer PTSD and a post like this could cause issues. And why is this in the general pipe smoking section.

May 31, 2012
Dancing with the daffodils is Wordsworth,

who was a Lake Poet...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Poets
:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQnyV2YWsto
:
...but for Lake Poets,

Coleridge is much preferred!
The poet in his lone yet genial hour

Gives to his eyes a magnifying power:

Or rather he emancipates his eyes

From the black shapeless accidents of size--

In unctuous cones of kindling coal,

Or smoke upwreathing from the pipe's trim bole,

His gifted ken can see

Phantoms of sublimity.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I was always fond of Wordsworth as well. Some of his stuff is a bit of a chore to read, but brings out a unique sense of awareness that probably made him interesting to talk to. Hope he was a pipe smoker. Coleridge is just all-around fun.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Something about a Lakeland blend with the assumption that the OP doesn’t care for them?? Other than that, and having read it three times, I’m at a total loss and didn’t understand one word of this ‘story’ (?), much less understand its intent. To use an ever so popular Internet acronym, and as davet so aptly said... WTF!

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Silly me, I thought this was a Darkthrone thread lol

@Moses: After the Demilich video that @deathmetal dropped into a metal thread not too long ago, I was totally hoping for a video thread full of old school death metal, haha.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29mveKX1b8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnUZ5xpcKHw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0DTCByLWD8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9uuug7X1PQ

Mar 1, 2014
I'm pretty sure Deathmetal is secretly hoarding Ennerdale while going on a smear campaign to protect his supply.
Lakelands are so good it's the only genre to consistently drive people to engage in dishonest hoarding practices (warning others not to try it).

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Uh, I read 2/3rds of the story. And so I am welcomed into the mind of The DeathMan.

"You can check in but you cant check out" Eagles Hotel California

nyecs7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.