PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Watch this EF-3 rated (appx 150mph wind speed) storm say hello to a building, then try to imagine what the strongest tornado ever recorded (300+ mph wind speed) was like... keeping in mind that aerodynamic drag increases as a square of velocity.

Put another way, it was four times this destructive.

Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 2.47.33 PM.png

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Comment:

1. I assume that there were not people sitting in that car filming and it was auto on the dash cam.
2. Then again safer in that car than that building.
3. Shocked the would put up those tin sided type of buildings in that area, you'd think they would have to be zoned and built to much higher standards.
4. Hope no one was injured.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The only reason the cars survived is because they weren't hit.

An EF-3 will do this to them when they are, and the remains are usually found some distance from where they were struck:

Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 5.02.24 PM.png

As for the building not being up to code / should have been built better, etc., it's simply a money vs. chance thing.

A given square meter of ground in the hottest of the USA's hot zones for tornadoes will be passed over by a tornado only once every 10,000 years. In addition, no above-ground structure in the world short of a deeply-set, reinforced concrete blockhouse sort of thing could be made "tornado proof". Hell, an EF-5 is capable of tearing asphalt highways from the roadbed, and uprooting mature hardwood trees and tossing them hundreds of yards.

In short, the cost / benefit analysis she no work.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
A great illustration that the biggest tornado danger is flying debris, like that industrial sized air conditioner that got ripped off of some roof.

Being in a tornado-prone area is worse in that it means you’ll likely get massive hail many times before you get tornado damage, if ever. A friend recovered a 7 inch hailstone from his yard several years ago. His roof had over 30 holes clear through the sheathing.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

MidTNPiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2023
Nashville, TN
While I hope to never experience this first hand, as someone who grew up in Ohio and lives in middle TN (both very active tornado locations) you just got to accept it can happen. And has been very close a few times in my life.

There was some crazy tornado outbreak in 1974? across the entire county, my dad’s hometown of Xenia, Ohio. Flattened a good chunk if the town real good.

It’s a spiritual thing really….you may not be religious, but that is an “act of god”…

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Amazing footage indeed.

I have always been fascinated by tornados and severe weather. I watch lots of videos and follow several chasers YT channels.
I lived in places where tornados are not uncommon and spent several nights in a storm cellar or in a bathroom or closet with a mattress covering us. Yet I have never seen a tornado.
My #1 bucket list item is to go storm chasing.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
It's overwhelming. In Spain some have been seen in the sea, but much less aggressive. I have never seen any live, only on television, or YouTube. The good thing about these catastrophes is that it is predictable, and that is appreciated. God protect those citizens who are affected by this demon of nature.

Reactions: kcghost