PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
You can get a lot of one ounce "match blend" samples from Pipe and Cigars if you're interested in trying a number of different ones.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
What qualifies as an otc these days? The only ones I see are maybe Prince Albert and Carter Hall but they are usually sold by the tub for $50 plus, there are a few other generics I see at the grocery store but I wouldn’t smoke those in a ten foot pipe. Prince Albert can be found in a pouch at Walmart but that’s about all I see for otc blends these days, I actually haven’t seen Captain Black over the counter in a loooong time, though I suppose Walgreens still sells it? These guys serve their purpose and are fine “honey do” blends. Now if we are talking about the Euro otc blends, then we have a whole lot more to talk about, that is, if you have a taste for those kind of blends.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For my money I would order a few pounds of Capstan Blue Flake from Esterval. Even if you are in the states the price is worth it. If you live inEurope the price is a steal.

The price can be as low as 50-80 cents per gram. For a world class smoke like that it is real tough to beat.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
For a real drugstore blend, I would have to give my vote to Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, though I have yet to find a brick-and-mortar retailer that carries the stuff in my neck of the woods.

If we’re going to include the OTC-style blends, I’d suggest Russ Oulette’s Angler’s Dream (available at a former site sponsor website). I’ll also add, if you try Chatham Manor and you don‘t like it, there’s the possibility you won‘t like pipe smoking at all. :LOL:

Robby

Lurker
Aug 10, 2020
illinois
For a real drugstore blend, I would have to give my vote to Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, though I have yet to find a brick-and-mortar retailer that carries the stuff in my neck of the woods.

If we’re going to include the OTC-style blends, I’d suggest Russ Oulette’s Angler’s Dream (available at a former site sponsor website). I’ll also add, if you try Chatham Manor and you don‘t like it, there’s the possibility you won‘t like pipe smoking at all. :LOL:
il have to try it to bad i already ordered though lol

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
My favorite "drugstore blend" by far is Granger. Unfortunately, you can no longer buy it by the pouch (or find it in an actual drugstore). You have to buy a big (8 oz maybe?) can. Easy to find, but if you don't like it, you're stuck with that big can of tobacco.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
The Amphora line:

Burley
English Blend
Full Aroma
Original Blend
Black Cavendish (may be called Special Reserve)
Virginia
Kentucky

Also, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.

Reactions: chopper
Status
Not open for further replies.